Reload this Page >

Cable Modem Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cable Modem Question

Old 10-18-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cable Modem Question

My computer has been running kind of slow lately. I have a surfboard modem thru AT&[email protected] 1gig, Pentium 3, 128 ram, 40 gig hard drive. I've never really tried any of those free programs that help boost your speed. Are they worth trying? What other options are there? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-01, 06:05 PM

No need to purchase or use a shareware program.. www.dslreports.com (and many other broadband sites) offer links to tweaks to increase your speed (same changes the programs out their make).. For dslreports goto tools and tweak tests, it will tell you what you need to do (if anything) to improve performance...
Old 10-19-01, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TLamm
No need to purchase or use a shareware program.. www.dslreports.com (and many other broadband sites) offer links to tweaks to increase your speed (same changes the programs out their make).. For dslreports goto tools and tweak tests, it will tell you what you need to do (if anything) to improve performance...
Thanks for the help. I just did the tweak test and it came back good. My transfer rate was 222 Kbits/sec. I assume that is good. It still just seems to be slower than normal. Maybe it's just me.
Old 10-19-01, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just tried a speed test and it came back really slow.

download 58 kbps
upload 88 kbps

Upon checking into this information...It is really slow! I'm gonna try some tweaks on www.dslreports.com

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-01, 12:36 AM

As a troubleshooter for my local cable isp, i wouldn't put too much faith in what these benchmarks sites tell you. If you are noticing that your connection is not up to what it should be, you should run a few ping tests to the local servers. preferably your gateway or dns just see if there is a problem getting back to the headend (ie You local cable office. I would document these results. Also try and give a call to their help line and see what they tell you.

(you can find the gateway and dns servers by running 'winipcfg' in the run box in win9x/ME. Once you've found the ip address for these servers, go to the run window and type "ping xx.xx.xx.xx -t"
inserting the ip address into the xx.xx.xx.xx. Note the general time in ms.

Keep me posted on what they say and your ping times.
Old 10-19-01, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off...thanks for your help.

I just ran the ping test like you said and this is what I got for all of them...

Reply from xx.xx.x.xx: bytes=32 time< 10ms TTL=128

I'm kind of new at this. Can you explain this to me? Thanks.
Old 10-19-01, 05:36 PM
Cool New Member

Since your ping time is less than 10ms back from your DNS server and gateway, the problem is more than likely not your setup, but somewhere in your ISP's network or between their network and the sites you're trying to reach. Does it seem to matter what time of day it is?

Also, you're on @home (just like I am) and they're in flux since filing for bankrupcy a few weeks ago. They may have made some changes to your part of the network recently which have affected your speed. I don't know how much help you'll get from calling tech support - when I have called them in the past the front line techs have been reading from scripts (and get freaked out when I tell them I've already done the basic troubleshooting and it's NOT MY PC, but either the cable modem or the network).

I would check your speed at random times (with dslreports.com and by pinging your gateway), and keep a log, if you want to pursue it with them. That will give them something to go on.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've tried that ping test at a couple of different times and I get pretty close to the same result. This may be a stupid question, but when you say keep a log...is there a program for this? Or do you just mean physically write them down? Whichever way, I'll keep a record of them and call @home in a few days.

I saw that @home is going through some changes with excite. Hopefully it is just a short term problem. Thanks again for you help.
Old 10-23-01, 10:52 AM

sorry about the delay in my reply. When I said to keep a log, I just meant to know the general time in ms that you normally get. It appears that your ping times are quite good so its not going to be a physical cable issue (the cables going from your house to the headend are good).
I have to agree with Toni and say that the problem is most likely on their end in their network.

Now as far as the speed boosting programs go, i use download accelerator' available at www.download.com . It boosts download speed by opening many simultaneous connections to the source as well as searching for faster sources on the net. Makes a huge improvement in speed during a conventional download. **Note** This does not improve surfing speeds, only conventional download speeds.