Reload this Page >

Another Home Networking Question...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-17-01, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while back, I bought a nice router (Barricade SMC7004ABR) and I just set it up so that I could network all 3 computers here.

I have them all set up in the same workgroup: Camino

Computers 1 & 2: Win2k
Computer 3: Win98 SE

Are there any good FAQs out there that will help?

I thought I did everything right, but apparently, I didn't. When I go to the "Computers Near Me" in the Network folder, I see the 3 computers, but I can't connect to any of them. They all have shared drives, but I can't seem to connect to them. I'm not too sure what the problem is, but I will answer any questions you might have about my setup.

THANKS!
Old 10-17-01, 06:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Another Home Networking Question...

Originally posted by Blake
A while back, I bought a nice router (Barricade SMC7004ABR) and I just set it up so that I could network all 3 computers here.

I have them all set up in the same workgroup: Camino

Computers 1 & 2: Win2k
Computer 3: Win98 SE

Are there any good FAQs out there that will help?

I thought I did everything right, but apparently, I didn't. When I go to the "Computers Near Me" in the Network folder, I see the 3 computers, but I can't connect to any of them. They all have shared drives, but I can't seem to connect to them. I'm not too sure what the problem is, but I will answer any questions you might have about my setup.

THANKS!
When you click on the computers which are listed in My Network, are the shared drives showing up? Are you using a username that has rights on all the systems?
Old 10-17-01, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Another Home Networking Question...

Originally posted by Dead
When you click on the computers which are listed in My Network, are the shared drives showing up?
No - I get this error message: \\Brian is not accessible. The Network Path was not found.
Are you using a username that has rights on all the systems?
Yes. Or so I think. I have added full rights to the Shared drives to "Everyone" and I am logged on as Administrators on both Win2k computers.
Old 10-17-01, 11:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Another Home Networking Question...

No - I get this error message: \\Brian is not accessible. The Network Path was not found.

What protocols are you using? Assuming you are using TCP/IP, can you ping from one station to the others?
Old 10-18-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Home Networking Question...

Originally posted by Dead
What protocols are you using? Assuming you are using TCP/IP, can you ping from one station to the others?
Yes, I'm using TCP/IP.

Yes I can ping from one station to the other...I tested pinging both the other computers from this one.
Old 10-18-01, 01:21 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried being logged in on a Win2K machine as Administrator (with the same password on each machine, right?) and mapping to one of the drives on another Win2K machine in Windows Explorer like this? \\DestinationMachineName\C$

See if this lets you connect. You do have Netbios enabled on all the machines, don't you?
Old 10-18-01, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
Have you tried being logged in on a Win2K machine as Administrator (with the same password on each machine, right?)
I have not done this - but I have logged on with a different username that is set as an Administrator, so it really shouldn't make a difference.
and mapping to one of the drives on another Win2K machine in Windows Explorer like this? \\DestinationMachineName\C$
I just tried this and here is the message I get: "The Network Path was Not Found" - I tried adding a Network place under "My Network Places." I also tried just typing it in to Windows Explorer and couldn't connect.
See if this lets you connect. You do have Netbios enabled on all the machines, don't you?
I'm not too sure about this. Under Windows 2000, if I go to the properties for my adapter, under advanced TCP/IP settings, WINS, the box next to "Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP" is marked.

Last edited by Blake; 10-18-01 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-18-01, 01:56 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blake, I have the exact same setup. Two computers running Win2K and one computer running Win98. They share the Internet via a router and cable modem.

When I set ALL THREE computers to use the same username (they're all using "Administrator" as usernames) and the same password, then they could talk to each other. I couldn't get it to work otherwise.
Old 10-18-01, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting...I'm afraid that if I change my settings on this computer - it'll be a huge pain in the a$$ to transfer everything that's under the "Blake" identity to the new "Administrator" identity.

The thing is, on the two Win2k computers, I'm using the exact same login and password...so that shouldn't be the problem.
Old 10-18-01, 02:16 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by namja
Blake, I have the exact same setup. Two computers running Win2K and one computer running Win98. They share the Internet via a router and cable modem.

When I set ALL THREE computers to use the same username (they're all using "Administrator" as usernames) and the same password, then they could talk to each other. I couldn't get it to work otherwise.
I was just going to send Blake to your thread http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=145836

I strongly suggest that you at least try logging in to the Administrator account, with the same password, on all machines and try to connect. You can take it one step at a time from there to get to the configuration you really want.
Old 10-18-01, 03:17 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thing is, on the two Win2k computers, I'm using the exact same login and password...so that shouldn't be the problem.
Then the two Win2k computers should at least be able to see each other, and you should be able to access files across the two.

To access another computer, I just double click on "My Network Places" on the desktop, then I click on "Computers Near Me" which shows all 3 computers in the network. I can double click on any of the 3 computers and have full access to all the drives. I also have a printer hooked up to the Win98 computer, and I can print from all 3 computers (as long as the Win98 computer is turned on).
Old 10-18-01, 03:23 AM
X
Administrator

Are you using DHCP or fixed IPs? You might try entering your workgroup name in the DNS tab of your TCP/IP networking property's DNS suffix for this connection box.
Old 10-18-01, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
Are you using DHCP or fixed IPs? You might try entering your workgroup name in the DNS tab of your TCP/IP networking property's DNS suffix for this connection box.
DHCP - I'm trying the DNS suffix idea now.
Old 10-18-01, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if it was the DNS suffix trick or the shutting down of ZoneAlarm (I had checked to see if it was blocking anything, which it said it wasn't) - but....

EVERYTHING WORKS

Thank you soo much everyone.
Old 10-18-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just wanted to say thanks again guys, but I'm wondering if you could help me here:

Last night, I went to bed while transferring a lot of files between 2 computers - when I woke up, the files were transferred, but my internet connection had been lost on all 3 computers. A quick reset of the router fixed the problem (unplugging it), but I hope this isn't a common occurance.

I have all of the firmware and software updates for the router, but I was just wondering if anyone's had problems with this router before, and if this is a common problem I'm gonna have to deal with.