Reload this Page >

HELP! LONG computer problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-17-01, 05:00 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so for the longest time... six months I've been running Windows 2000 Professional. I had a bit of a time getting my computer to work at first... lots of problems with my motherboard. Okay, well after a while I got it running. Then just recently I decided to do some upgrading. I added two new hard drives and more ram. It's been dying since.

AMD K7 1.2 GHZ
768 MB PC133 RAM
ASUS A7V133 w/ Promise Technology RAID Support
Dual IBM something something 40GB
Segate Barracuda 50.0 GB SCSI-2
Pioneer 303S DVD-ROM Drive SCSI
Generic 52x MAX CD-ROM Drive
LOTS OF FANS.

Video: eVGA GeForce II 64 MB MX400
Generic PCI Rockwell 56k Modem
Diamond HomeFree 10mb
Sound Blaster Live Value
Linksys 10/100 NIC
Adaptec 1920UW SCSI Controller

USED to run Win2k.

So back to the problem. Okay so I first find out hte motherboard I have, well the ATA100 controller on the motherboard doesn't work. So I have to return it and get a new one. So I do that. And then it all works fine. I have RAID implemented and I'm a happy guy. Then I move the damn computer upstairs and set it up. I decide I want the cable modem on my computer. I bring the cable modem upstairs and hook it up to my NIC. then I turn the computer off and go to bed. I wake up and try to turn it on, but nothing happens. I then opened the system unit and found the green status light indicating power on the motherboard was on, but nothing was powering. I have seen this before, some fault in the motherboard trying to drian to muchpower or osmething, so nothing else seems to get power. so i take that motherboard back to the store and swap it out for another one. well, i plug everything in and it works all dandy. by this time i'm happy. i managed to save my school work and get to turn it in.

okay. i decided i should check for virii just incase... so i install norton 2000 and update it and run it. i went out for a smoke and came back, the computer had rebooted. i thought that was odd. tried it again and it rebooted. then i got an error saying the ACPI bios is invalid. the motherboard's bios is up to date with the latest release... so i download it from the website anyways, flash it... same thing though... but hoping it makes a difference. it doesn't. i can only seem to get windows 2000 to boot into safe mode. also at this time every other time i boot or rebooot the computer the CPU settings reset to the default. so eventually i get so annoyed with it resetting i just leave it at 900mhz.

okay for some stupid reason i installed windows 98, hoping it would be better... well the problem with it is it's really slow for some reason. so i want to try to get windows 200 installed again... but when ever i run windows 2000 steup it won't recognize the onboard ata100 promise technology raid controller....

any suggestions? to the raid controller problem?
the jumpers are set properly, per the manual, and the way I had them to work before...

or even to the CPU resetting itself?
my cousin thought it might be the CPU core beiing crushed when i transfered it from motherboard to motherboard... but i'm not sure, and it's not under a warranty as nice as the rest of the hardware... i just had to order it from florida...

any help would be great. thanks.
Old 10-17-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume that you are using a 400 watt AMD approved power supply for all those peripherals you have in that case. I would also suggest that you remove memory down to 512 MB since win 98 has some issues with more than that(although there is a hack around that).

you have so many potential problems- drivers, compatibility issues, power, defective parts...

I pick power as my favorite especially since you gave use details of all parts but case and power supply.

to get the raid controller to be recognized you need to install the driver for it. It will not be found by win 2k. it needs to be installed before the promise controller wil be recognized.
Old 10-17-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Win 2000

For the RAID controller you'll need to load the drivers manually. Download them to a floppy. When you boot off the CD and run Win2000 setup, press F6 right away. You'll see the message at the bottom prompting you to do it if you want to install a third party SCSI driver.

Win 2000 like Win NT recognizes any disk controller as a SCSI device.
Old 10-17-01, 02:12 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

300 WATT power supply, and i forget the brand of the case. it's a rather large full tower with a redundant cooling system...

as for loading the drivers before the windows 2000 setup... i do manually add the drivers, but nothing is happening... this happened before, but I can't remember how i got around it last week...
Old 10-17-01, 02:22 PM

Dude, take out some of that stuff and see what happens. I tend to agree that the power supply might be a problem. Taking it down to 900mhz and it working to an extent gives me more reason to think this is the problem.

300W for all that stuff is likely not goint to work. Boot up with just the necessary components and just one fan with the case open. Try installing Win2K and see what happens. If you still have the same problem get a completely different MB.

C. Ryan
Old 10-17-01, 07:00 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

yeah it's a lost cause... i used the dip switches to set the cpu speed and so far it seems stable, i just managed to get the operating system to load... i found the most current drivers for the raid and it worked... but i'm having a wonderful time trying to get all my hardware installed...

but i think i got it for now... thanks for the help.
Old 10-17-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jrobinson
yeah it's a lost cause... i used the dip switches to set the cpu speed and so far it seems stable, i just managed to get the operating system to load... i found the most current drivers for the raid and it worked... but i'm having a wonderful time trying to get all my hardware installed...

but i think i got it for now... thanks for the help.
get a 400 watt power supply and make sure it is AMD approved. this should eliminate the power issues I bet you are having.

good luck. It looks like a good system otherwise
Old 10-18-01, 03:32 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I think I know what the worst problem is... I have a bunch of cheap periphals... I spend the money on the CPU, RAM, MB, hard drives... and get the cheapest whatever else I need... and have all sorts of problems. now the computer keeps locking up saving IRQ SHARING BLAH... which I know what's causing that... the HomeFree card, and the Linksys NIC, and the cheap Rockwell modem... all after the same IRQ.
Old 10-18-01, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I think you're overclocking you might want to adjust the amount of voltage the CPU is getting. I forget what the default is (if any) but I've noticed that my system acts funky when I try overclocking my Duron 700 to something like 1.05 GHz and I don't have enough voltage to the CPU. So, my suggestion is to incrementally increase the voltage to the CPU. Beware, this will increase the temp of the CPU but since you have a bunch of fans I would worry too much.
Old 10-18-01, 03:46 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I'm not overclocking it. It's an authentic 1.2 GHZ 266 FSB. Well, at least I purchased it like that... what it really is, how am I to know?
Old 10-18-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was overclocked since you said you reset it to 900 MHz...oh well, my fault for assuming.

My suggestion is to follow the advice here about power supplies. See if you can borrow someone elses PS and test your system with that.