Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I change my Virtual memory setting?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-16-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have WIN ME.
It was recommended to me(I interpreted it) by MGI Videowave to change my virtual memory to a min of 512mb and a max of 1024. I have 512mb of ram. Can I put in a max of 1024? Will ME run with 1024mb as the max?...or is 512mb my max?
VideoWave is movie editing software. I found some info here to just set a minimum of 512mb.
http://www.putergeek.com/virtual_memory/
I want to speed up my computer with how long it takes to produce movies.
What do you guys think????
Old 10-16-01, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't use WinMe, but virtual memory is limited by free disk space, not physical memory. So, you wouldn't be breaking anything if you increased virtual memory to the recommended settings.

There's lots of theories as to what the ideal settings are for virtual memory. If the software developers are recommending a certain setting, I'd try it and see if it helps. If not, then I'd go back to letting windows manage it.
Old 10-16-01, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read a very well-informed and thorough article (don't have the bookmark handy) that argued convincingly through extensive testing that anything after Win98 needed no VMEM adjusting unless you had a pathetically low amount of RAM. If you have 512MB (yeow!) I think you would gain nothing by doing this--your HD even during intense effort shouldn't thrash. The VMEM crappiness was really attributed to Win95 in all flavors or earlier.

I only have 192MB and Win98SE manages it just fine for me.
Old 10-16-01, 11:43 PM

Your min and max virtual memory size should be the same. That way, it won't become fragmented and you can even move it at the beginning of your hard drive where it is faster (Norton Utilities can do it)
Old 10-17-01, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
as a general rule with win virtual mem
set the min and max to the same size, which should be (if you have the disk space) 2 or 3 times the amount of ram.
Old 10-17-01, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mikehunt
as a general rule with win virtual mem
set the min and max to the same size, which should be (if you have the disk space) 2 or 3 times the amount of ram.
actually I think that as you RAM increases your amount of virtual RAM can safely be reduced. For example when i had 128 MB of RAM I used 2.5 times this amount as my virtual ram setting both min and max. now that i have 512 MB of RAM I use 512 MB as my fixed virtual memory amount. I have no problems at all.

If you are doing a bunch of video editing I might use 1 GB of virtual Ram if you have 512 MB of Ram.

I would not use a minimum and max with different amounts. I see no advantage to letting the operating system decide on the fly how much to allocate.
Old 10-18-01, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for all the replies...

I thought I read somewhere that WIN ME can't handle more then 512mB of RAM.. Is that physical ram? I have 2 - 40 gig hard drives so 1gig of virtual ram would be no big deal... So should I set my virtual ram to 1 gig for both min and max? or should I set it at 512mb for min and max??.
How does windows handle my ram. How does it know what to set the amounts to?
Old 10-18-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The best thing you can do in WIN ME is to let windows manage the swap file. It should only be changed if you have problems.
Old 10-18-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Virtual memory

I run Win2000 and have had best results with a minimum of twice the RAM and a maximum setting of 4x the RAM per hard disk.
Old 10-19-01, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ANDREMIKE
Thanks for all the replies...

I thought I read somewhere that WIN ME can't handle more then 512mB of RAM.. Is that physical ram? I have 2 - 40 gig hard drives so 1gig of virtual ram would be no big deal... So should I set my virtual ram to 1 gig for both min and max? or should I set it at 512mb for min and max??.
How does windows handle my ram. How does it know what to set the amounts to?
although I hate to disagree with 4KRG I would set your minimum and max virtual memory to 1 GB. I am picking the higher figure since you do video editing and i want you to have the additional virtual memory in case you need it.

Before doing this I would defrag your hard drive and then set the virtual memory to this fixed amount. I do not think that you will have any problems doing it.
Old 10-19-01, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gcribbs

although I hate to disagree with 4KRG I would set your minimum and max virtual memory to 1 GB.

You are not disagreeing with me, you are diagreeing with Micro$oft.

I got that off a Q article I just do not remember which one. However I highly doubt increasing swap space from 512MB to 1G will actually cause a performance increase that a user can notice in Win ME.

From this link

http://www.putergeek.com/virtual_memory/

NOTE: This will work fine for WinME as well, but Microsoft has done a better job so it's not as badly needed
even Videowave understands ME swap technology is a bit different.

You want to speed things up? Load Win2K