Reload this Page >

Good abandonware sites?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good abandonware sites?

Old 10-16-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good abandonware sites?

I know the mods may have some problems with this, but this is a serious request, and does not involve piracy.

I'm currently backing up all my old 3.5" and 5.25" inch floppys to CD-ROM, since it's a bit more permanent and not damaged by temperature fluctuations or magnetic rays.

Unfortunately, for some disks, I'm too late. Notably, Doom II, Street Rod, and Populous II, but there's a few other lost disks I'd like to replace.

Anyone know where I might could find replacement copies?
Old 10-16-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good question (even if it's the wrong forum )

Home of the Underdogs is an amazing dump of old games. And it's totally legit, too - they keep in touch with companies and only host games that are truly abandonware. However, you won't be able to find very popular stuff like Doom there; they intentionally don't host blockbuster games. But if a game is popular enough, you should be able to find it pretty easily on other abandonware sites via Google.

- David Stein
Old 10-16-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Good question (even if it's the wrong forum )

Home of the Underdogs is an amazing dump of old games. And it's totally legit, too - they keep in touch with companies and only host games that are truly abandonware. However, you won't be able to find very popular stuff like Doom there; they intentionally don't host blockbuster games. But if a game is popular enough, you should be able to find it pretty easily on other abandonware sites via Google.

- David Stein
Wow. Kickass.

For the record, the reason I posted here instead of the Computer forum is because I figured more people who could answer this question would see it here -- like you, David!
Old 10-16-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by einTier
For the record, the reason I posted here instead of the Computer forum is because I figured more people who could answer this question would see it here -- like you, David!
No one has faith in our great video game forum.
Old 10-16-01, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I'm a big-ass dork. Gee, thanks.

Honestly, though - try not to do this. An hour ago I posted in the Computer Forum, asking about advice on PocketPC PDAs. I was tempted to post it here in Other, but that would have been bad form, since I knew I'd be posting it in the wrong forum just to get more responses.

- David Stein
Old 10-16-01, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
http://www.gamingdepot.com/
is another site
Old 10-17-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

einTier, there is also a Usenet newsgroup for this subject ALT.GAMES.ABANDONWARE
Old 10-17-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for everything guys.. I've picked up all the games that were corrupted (though Doom 2 isn't abandonware and took a while to find).

I've also picked up all the games I used to have, but were stolen (Falcon 3, A-10 Tank Killer, some others), and now I'm picking up games I wished I'd picked up when I could still purchase them. Looks like my one CD of floppies is going to be two CDs.

...I had really forgotten how slow the 1.44 floppy was until I had to transfer over 400MB through it.

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've also picked up all the games I used to have, but were stolen (Falcon 3, A-10 Tank Killer, some others), and now I'm picking up games I wished I'd picked up when I could still purchase them. Looks like my one CD of floppies is going to be two CDs.
Careful... collecting abandonware gets to be a serious addiction. I've got probably 15 CDs full of old games I'll probably never play again, and I hit Underdogs about four times a week to see what they've got. And this isn't even mentioning MAME, or the erstwhile Gamebase64...

- David Stein