Before signing up for Broadband!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-15-01, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should I be looking for here?
I know the price is important and what else?I got a choice of ADSL and Cable but Cable means I have to wait like 15 months.Right now I am using ISDN, and I will have to share the connections with a few more PC's in my office!
Old 10-15-01, 08:06 PM

eep...double
Old 10-15-01, 08:07 PM

Get DSL

Cable is a shared-bandwidth service whereas DSL is dedicated only to you.

DSL can be more of a pain to get set up because the phone company has involvement and doesn't always do things correctly (there's a shocker, eh?) but once it's set up, it's beautiful.

Things to look for are speed both down and up (down being more important)
Old 10-16-01, 12:31 AM

The ADSL is a tie up with Yahoo Japan and Softbank so they promised an 8Mbs line. Sure the hell beats my ISDN system now but the router for ADSL is expensive.
Old 10-16-01, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Crizzar
Cable is a shared-bandwidth service whereas DSL is dedicated only to you.
True and also Not very truthful.

Cable is shared, but usually cable companies will only put so many people on one shared line - when more people want it, they will add capacity. The stupid TV commercials you might see with people waking up at 3am to use the Cable modem is very misleading. I've had cable for over 2 years (in 2 different locations) and have never suffered from slowdown.

Also, my connection is ALWAYS faster than both of my friends whom have DSL. I will never get DSL as long as Cable is available. DSL is unreliable, a pain to get hooked up, and just not as fast as Cable.

The choice is up to you - everyone has different experiences with DSL/Cable...you'll hear pros and cons on both sides - IMHO, cable is the way to go though.
Old 10-16-01, 02:13 AM

We just got a cable modem installed here, and boy is it F-A-S-T!

RD
Old 10-16-01, 04:18 AM

Thanks for insight Blake.
I want to know what to ask the cable company people or the ADSL people,what to expect,so that once I invest in that tecnology and that provider, I dont have a headache afterwards.
Like setting up the hardware or how much storage.My problem is also choosing a provider,need to ask the things I should be getting.Some service provider just say they will provide the line then afterwards the speed is very slow or the network is allways down.So i dont want that kind of trouble.
So guys give me what type of questions I need to ask the service provider and what shall i need.
Old 10-16-01, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa, 8MBps DSL! That's pretty fast..... if you can get it. I doubt you'll ever see speeds that fast though. Ask your DSL provider what their highest guaranteed speed is, and try to find out what speed other people in your neighborhood get on average. I have cable myself. It's very fast, about 3Mbps and I never have any slowdown. I had dsl for about 3 years before I got cable, and I gotta say cable is the fastest I've ever had. DSL is such a pain to install and they make you sign a contract too, while cable is no contract at the same (or lower price).
Old 10-16-01, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think cable is unfairly maligned as well. I've had it for two years in two different places and I rarely miss the T1 I had in college. Of course, I don't mind people choosing DSL; it just guarantees me more bandwidth.
Old 10-16-01, 06:06 PM

I had DSL for about a year, and was thrilled (compared to dial-up). I went with @Home about a year ago. The throughput was terrible, so I called and complained. I actually got an email back from them saying they replaced a router. Since then, it's beat the crap out of DSL, any time of the day.

I just hope @Home stays around with someone at the helm
Old 10-17-01, 11:17 AM

I've had cable for 6 months now and it's awesome!!!!!
Old 10-17-01, 01:10 PM

If the prices between cable and DSL in your area are comparable, you might then compare the Usenet access that each offers to you as part of the package.
Old 10-17-01, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I can just throw my hat in the ring here for a second...

I had DSL for a while and I found it very reliable. Somehow settings on my computer got screwed up once, and I was down for a day while it was figured out. Other than that, I was very happy with the service.

Because the company I was using for DSL service stopped offering it, I had to switch and I went with a cable modem from [email protected] It hasn't even been a month and I'm shopping for another service. The service just cuts out randomly throughout the day, sometimes for an hour or more. There have been a couple nights when it has gone down from 9pm or 10pm until the next morning. Getting someone on the phone for customer service is a another problem. Now, when the service is up and running, I am getting faster downloads with the cable.

Weighing the two sides, DSL = reliable constant connection and speed vs. Cable = faster connection that's down half the time and no customer support, I'd go with the DSL.

Also, if anybody is interested www.dslreports.com has lots of news and info about both DSL and Cable services. You can focus on your area by using your zip code to see what people are saying about services in your immediate area.
Old 10-21-01, 04:44 AM

my own personal tidbit...

i had qwest dsl fo about 6 months....i dropped them...i got tired of paying over a hundred per monthe for basic local phone and dsl and ISP fees.

DSL seems they wanted 20 bucks a month for ISP qwest.net then 30-40 for the dsl service. but lets not forget the 15 federal (mandatory) charge...who know what the heck it was for. and tax and other little things too...look into ALL costs for dsl.
it was reliable, fast, and it stayed conected....once i signed on evertime i started. (eww)

I now use @home through Comcast 40-50 bucks gets me the speed, always connected (no sign on, technically it does automatically) and i get basic cable included. just don't use that crappy @home software and don't buy that starter kit either.
I love my cable.
Old 10-21-01, 05:59 AM

Well the charges are not so much, I get $25 for unlimited 8Mbs download speed with ADSL and they got the modem for rental for $5 per month and the phone charges are fixed to $20 per month unlimted access.Just have to convince my company to drop the ISDN thing.
Old 10-21-01, 07:15 AM
wiz

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
my own personal tidbit...

i had qwest dsl fo about 6 months....i dropped them...i got tired of paying over a hundred per monthe for basic local phone and dsl and ISP fees.

DSL seems they wanted 20 bucks a month for ISP qwest.net then 30-40 for the dsl service. but lets not forget the 15 federal (mandatory) charge...who know what the heck it was for. and tax and other little things too...look into ALL costs for dsl.
it was reliable, fast, and it stayed conected....once i signed on evertime i started. (eww)

I now use @home through Comcast 40-50 bucks gets me the speed, always connected (no sign on, technically it does automatically) and i get basic cable included. just don't use that crappy @home software and don't buy that starter kit either.
I love my cable.
No offense, but it's hard for you to clump qwest into the same group as other DSL providers. I have a friend that had Qwest DSL for years up in Colorado and he had to pay out the wazoo for a connect that should not have cost that much. I pay $45 a month for my 1.5/256 DSL from Bellsouth here in Atlanta. It blows away any cable offering, AT&T/Mediaone and Charter. It is all location specific, some places the DSL is much better, and other places the cable will out rule the DSL. Best bet is not sign a contract and try both of them out and make the decision for yourself. Just my opinion.