Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm about to swap Hardrives, any advice for me?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-15-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basic advise is welcomed as I've never done this before. I'm replacing my 3.2 gig HD with this 20 gig one here...

http://www.maxtor.com/products/Diamo...pecs/42084.pdf

The only info I can dig up on my current 3.2 set up is is it's a TriGem SV0322A/TGE. Also, from the emachine site, it's "Ultra DMA EIDE".

I'm going to try Norton Ghost just to see how good it is. I have back-up's of all my stuff and will reinstall the OS latter. I just wanted to try a swap with Ghost to see if it works as advertised. Thanks.

Last edited by Deadpool; 10-15-01 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-15-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

on the version of Ghost that I have Ghost won't let me restore a backup to a partition larger than the one I backed up from. that is, if i backed up a 3.2GB partition, the partition i could restore it to had to be a 3.2GB partition.

just my two cents.
Old 10-17-01, 10:25 AM

newer versions of ghost will let you go from small to big no problem... You shouldnt run into problems, in theory...
Old 10-17-01, 11:43 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought my 30GB westrn Digital earlier this year, it came with a 3.5" disk that had some app on it, which wrote all the data to the new drive

I went from 8GB to 30GB and then added the 8gb back in as slave and the data was still on it as well.

Using Windows 98.

I am looking to get a 40GB drive now and buy XP and install XP on the 40GB Drive Fresh, and then all the apps I want also to install fresh.

Not done a clean install in the 3 years I have had my pc.