Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with buying "kids" computer please..

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-14-01, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I have pretty much decided on getting the kids (age 7 & 10), computers for x-mas. My eldest has been using our old one (PI 100 htz running win. 95) for about two years.

They are both using computers at school and both have assignments that are required to be done on the computer (mostly they have been using our main one in the home office).

So looking for suggestions on reasonable price (remember buying 2) computers. Here is what we want or want to do with them:

-set up a home network (likely wireless since my wife doesn't like me cutting drywall). We have cable internet.
-have or load MS Office for them to do their homework on.
-games are not a priority, but obviously would be nice if it would play most of the newer type 3-d games.
-must be Intel (father-in-law recently retired from Intel so trying to stay loyal)
-will want or be able to add a CD-RW.
-would like (but not required) DVD viewing.

Questions I have:

-for this general light workload, is Celeron OK?
-I have seen what appear to be good deals on referbished models. Are these ok? Or does it just depend?
-other then Intel I'm pretty open for brands. We have been using an HP for a couple of years and like it.

Any hints, tips, suggestions, or other things I should think about would be appreciated....
Old 10-15-01, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try dell and work out a deal with them. yes a celeron will be fine for what you mention.

the dimension line has a $100 on line rebate even on their celeron computers the lowest end was $599(not sure what you get for that) .

Price the computers online first and then print out the specs then call them and let them know you are interested in buying two computers and you will if UPS ground shipping is waived the worst they can say is no. Make sure they do not up the price then give you free shipping- this is where you printout comes in handy

If they say no : let Dell know you will be seeing if gateway will give you free shipping and will only call them back if gateway will not match their price with free shipping. I bet they give it to you

dvdtalk even has a link to them.

go to this link this person configured two P4 1.6 Ghz from Dell's small business site and got them for 910 each with a 15" LCD and cdrw's.

look this info over to see if it helps you
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=595277

Last edited by gcribbs; 10-15-01 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-15-01, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'd have to go along gcribbs suggestion about dell computers. i don't use them at home, but i have recommended them before at work and to friends. their computers have a solid, well-built feel to them and will more or less do everything that you wanted to do with them.

i think dell sells only intel-based PCs so you should be fine with your father-in-law, and any computer out in the market will be able to handle a DVD drive (to watch DVDs, of course) and a CD-RW drive (to burn CDs, of course). the celeron is a decent enough processor but don't expect it to perform great on the newer 3D games. most of the cheaper dell PCs have on-board 3D video on them which are underpowered IMHO for the newer 3D games. however, the model one-up from their cheapest line is equipped with a decent 3D card that will meet the needs of the newer 3D games.

also, another thing you might want to consider is that dell's cheapest line has only two 5.25'' expansion bays. meaning that you should probably get a CD-RW or a DVD now or you'll end up having a spare CD-ROM drive lying around when you do decide to upgrade. of course, you can avoid this if you just go with the model one-up from their cheapest line.

as far as the home-network is concerned, i'm not 100% sure how wireless networks work. you'll need a base station and wireless NICs for all the computers you plan to network. the one thing that i'm not sure of is whether or not you'll need a router/switch to split the cable-internet line. i'm sure someone will chime in later.

i think that just about covers it. hope you guys find yourselves a good deal.
Old 10-15-01, 02:14 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a note on the wireless network. Not too fast for file transfers between computers (but acceptable), and fine for using the internet. And way cool for using a notebook!
Old 10-15-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not to hijack a thread, but can a wireless network used in conjunction with a router/switch and a wired network? (read: can i plug the base station into the router/switch and run the wireless network?) i have a notebook and it would be great to be able to run the sucker from upstairs (2 stories up).

comments? suggestions?
Old 10-15-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by quietsoul
not to hijack a thread, but can a wireless network used in conjunction with a router/switch and a wired network? (read: can i plug the base station into the router/switch and run the wireless network?) i have a notebook and it would be great to be able to run the sucker from upstairs (2 stories up).

comments? suggestions?
Yes, it can. If your wireless lan comes with a DHCP server, you'll want to disable it so that the IPs are pulled from your primary router.

For Sdallnct,

I'd third the Dell reccomendation, and I'd get this router for my wireless lan (and to split the cable modem connection).

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/16671
Old 10-15-01, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for all the suggestions and tip! I'm going to print this thread out and do some net shopping!

Some add'l note:

-Today at work I found out we have Employee Purchase Programs with Dell and HP. A quick check showed only a minor reduction of price, but when mutliplied by 2 it's better then a kick in the pants!
-I really appreciate the tip to CALL after making a decision on which system. I had no idea Dell (or anyone else) would offer better then their web site prices.
-I'm very keen on the wireless network idea. Yes I know it is pricey. But the convience is great! And yes X I thought about how cool it will be to use my personal laptop in the network. I also realize it is slower then a wired system. But I'm in an ideal situation with our home office (and thus where I would set up the point access) right between the two kids bedrooms. Everything I have read seems to indicate the wireless network (with reasonable distance) and still faster then 56K. And Since the kids don't have phones in their rooms (yet) will save some money having them wired for phones.

Again thanks for all tips. Anyone run accross an great deal throw it my way!
Old 10-16-01, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Thanks for all the suggestions and tip! I'm going to print this thread out and do some net shopping!

Some add'l note:

-Today at work I found out we have Employee Purchase Programs with Dell and HP. A quick check showed only a minor reduction of price, but when mutliplied by 2 it's better then a kick in the pants!
-I really appreciate the tip to CALL after making a decision on which system. I had no idea Dell (or anyone else) would offer better then their web site prices.
-I'm very keen on the wireless network idea. Yes I know it is pricey. But the convience is great! And yes X I thought about how cool it will be to use my personal laptop in the network. I also realize it is slower then a wired system. But I'm in an ideal situation with our home office (and thus where I would set up the point access) right between the two kids bedrooms. Everything I have read seems to indicate the wireless network (with reasonable distance) and still faster then 56K. And Since the kids don't have phones in their rooms (yet) will save some money having them wired for phones.

Again thanks for all tips. Anyone run accross an great deal throw it my way!
although there is never a guarantee that they will give you free shipping for example. however with sales declining this is a buyers market and the chances are higher than ever now.

Good Luck and let us know what you got and if you saved any more
Old 10-23-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Done some initial research. I've made SOME desisions, but have some questions if you guys don't mind.

I like the Dell's and that is what I'm leaning towards. However, to keep options open, HOW IS COMPAQ COMPUTERS. I have seen a few in B&M's that seem like pretty good deals.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go the wireless (802.11 standard) network. They carry the SMC at Dell. Is that a good one? Or should I do the networking stuff seperate? I was just thinking it would be easier if I ordered the computers with the needed card installed (though I know it is easy to install them).

Are ANY 802.11 wireless network equipment compatible with each other? Or do you have to stick with the same brand?

I read where you can hook up "ad-hoc" and skip the access point all together. I have cable modem, and want the remote computers to have access to our main printer. Do I need the access point?

BTW, I know I can get the very base dell for 549 thru their employee purchase program. Once I confirm what I all I want, I will call and try to do better...

Thanks for all the help....
Old 10-24-01, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Done some initial research. I've made SOME desisions, but have some questions if you guys don't mind.

I like the Dell's and that is what I'm leaning towards. However, to keep options open, HOW IS COMPAQ COMPUTERS. I have seen a few in B&M's that seem like pretty good deals.
You're doing a good thing with Dell. About Compaq, understand, this relates to my dealings with them two years ago, and applies to their consumer line, not their server line (which kicks ass, btw).

Don't buy Compaq for the house. Everything that can be made propriatary or hard to work on inside the box will be. Period. Expect cards that are combined with other cards, like a modem/fax/sound/etc card or even stuff built right onto the motherboard. Doesn't sound really bad at first, and it's the kids PC, right? Well, think again. Most of that stuff inside the box is either custom built for compaq or not a common name brand like Sound Blaster or NVIDEA or 3COM. Your first problem will come when you decide to format and reinstall (or install a different OS) on your kids PC. Since it's the kids PC, I can promise you'll eventually have to do this, or the kids will likely want to put Linux on it or BSD or BeOS or something in the next few years. All that specialized hardware does not have any kind of generic, native, easy to find, or any thing other than windows divers. So, you're forced to either go find the drivers on line -- if you can find them -- or reinstall the original configuration the PC came with, which will likely include a bunch of software you don't want, need, or use. A real PITA. You'll curse the compaq after this.

Then, the second curse visits. Stuff inside breaks. And, it will break because it's cheap knock-off stuff. So when your sound card bites the dust, it takes the modem and everything else on that card, forcing you to buy either compaq's crappy propriatary card from compaq ($$$) or buying two extra cards you didn't want to buy or need to buy. If you leave the card in, it'll conflict with the new hardware, and there's no jumper settings to turn just the thing off that you replaced. Plus, compaq doesn't like you fixing your own stuff, so the box won't be easy to get into, and things won't be easy to replace, and you'll likely have to tear through several "void your warranty" stickers to do so.

Then, your third strike will happen. The hardware becomes obsolete. See the above paragraph about putting new hardware in that machine. Want to upgrade one of the cards? Better look at doing them all. Want to get a better video card? Better make sure the onboard one can be disabled, or if they even left you an AGP slot. I've even seen compaq boards without jumpers for the processor, just so you couldn't upgrade the proc without buying a new ($$$) propriatary motherboard from compaq.

I've been bitten by at least four or five consumer level compaqs that friends or work has purchased. They always seemed to be broken, and they were a cast-iron bitch to fix and usually expensive to fix on top of that. I'd only take one if you gave it to me.

Dells on the other hand, are almost works of art. I was amazed by their consumer line when I worked there. Normal hardware, none of it that wouldn't work with non-Dell stuff or outside of a Dell box. The motherboards were designed in house, but they were standard AGP form, and you could replace it with any off the shelf AGP motherboard. Everything else other than the case was built outside of Dell and pieced together. Want a SoundBlaster? Just tell Dell before they put it together. Top-of-the-line GeForce3? No problem. Ethernet instead of a modem? No problem. Only when you get into the professional office lines, does anything get Dell-specific, and then, it's usually just the motherboard -- and it's that way to facilitate rapid replacement of parts.

I almost bought a Dell for my last PC, but elected to build my own for the first time in six years. I'll probably buy Dell next time. I didn't save as much as I thought I would, and I don't think I got a better machine.
Old 10-24-01, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a really cheap option that might work for you:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GENXE763

I would recommend upgrading the RAM. Then the only problem would be onboard video which is slow for gaming.
Old 10-24-01, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by skar
Here is a really cheap option that might work for you:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GENXE763

I would recommend upgrading the RAM. Then the only problem would be onboard video which is slow for gaming.
I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it. If you were going to buy new, get a Dell. Compaqs are HORRIBLE. Dell is great customer support, solid brands used, and with the employee related discount, negates the slightly higher pricing compared to other companies. Good Luck!!

-pedagogue

ps. If you "accidently" buy a 3rd dell, and don't know what to do with it, I need a computer
Old 10-25-01, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by pedagogue

I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it. If you were going to buy new, get a Dell. Compaqs are HORRIBLE. Dell is great customer support, solid brands used, and with the employee related discount, negates the slightly higher pricing compared to other companies. Good Luck!!

-pedagogue

ps. If you "accidently" buy a 3rd dell, and don't know what to do with it, I need a computer
Thanks to all for input. I'm going to buy new. So looks like Dell is the ticket. I travel a lot for work and it will give my wife "comfort" having new computers plus what I have only heard as being GREAT support.

Anybody want to take a guess on if prices will go up or down as we move closer to x-mas? I'm thinking NOW is the time to buy. I'm thinking as we get towards Thanksgiving, many folks will get back to somewhat "normal" buying patterns and prices will go up (or at least not get as much for your $).

Oh, one last question. Maybe. Games are not a crucial part of this decision. But being these are x-mas presents I thought I'd throw in a game or two for fun. Looking at some of the newer games, they mention that the computer must be "direct-x" compatible and that the program is included in the game. What does this mean? Is it common?

Thanks again for all the input. Oh, and if I "accidently" order three I'll let you know!

Seriously, once I get my order in I'll post whatever "deal" I get.
Old 10-26-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

directX is a microsoft standard for almost all games out in the market. i believe it's a software-hardware standard, but i'm sure someone will chime in with a much more indepth explanation. it's free -- packaged in with new games or downloaded off the microsoft support page.

almost all computers have directX compatible hardware and drivers esp. new dells. btw, which models are you going to get for your kids? just remember that the onboard intel 3d graphics agp might have a hard time running some of the newer 3d games at a decent resolution. it might be worth it to invest in a good, low-end 3d option like a geforce2 mx400 or mx200.
Old 10-27-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dell Question

OK, decided to go Dell and was at their site doing some nitty gritty comparison, configuring systesms etc.

Is their any reason I should NOT buy from their SMALL BUSINESS site? Free shipping, upgraded memory, and what seems to be more computer for the money. Yes the modem is optional, but since I'm doing wireless networking, don't need the modem anyway.

It appeared to me that the SMALL BUSINESS computers did not come with some of the "fluffy" software, and that was the only difference. Is that correct?
Old 10-28-01, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there's nothing wrong with going through small business. most of the people i know go through small business because the prices are often cheaper, have more free stuff, and don't have the crap software installed with it. i'd go with the small business -- i don't see any negatives.

qs
Old 10-28-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by quietsoul
there's nothing wrong with going through small business. most of the people i know go through small business because the prices are often cheaper, have more free stuff, and don't have the crap software installed with it. i'd go with the small business -- i don't see any negatives.

qs
SWEET! Thanks. I just printed off a shopping cart w/2 computers in it. Going to call them this week and see if by chance can do even better. My mom has some Dell stock, so also going to see if they have any discount for stock holders and can let my mom buy them and pay her back.

However, looks like I'm going w/ 2 of the 4300's. Was going to just go w/Celeron (model 2100), however when push comes to shove it looks like only $50-60 per computer more to go with the P4's. Plus I like to option of stepping up one notch and going with the slightly nicer video card on one of the computers.

It does amaze me that you can get a P4 w/256k memory, 20g hard drive and basic 16mb video card, running win XP for $619 w/ free shipping. The 2nd computer I'm looking at is as above w/a 15" monitor 32mb GeForce2 video car is $759, again shipping is free.

Decided no CD-RW for now. I replaced the one in our main computer earlier this year and got a decent HP one for $55.00 after rebates and coupons. Figure those type deals will be around on and off and can pick one or two up later.
Old 10-28-01, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way, if you ever want to make those machines perform as a nice gaming machine, a nice 3D card and a bit of RAM would do it.

RAM is cheap, cheap, cheap these days, so cheap in fact, that a friend gave me a 256 MB stick of SDRAM for no reason other than he couldn't use it.

If you bide your time, you can pick up a GeForce 2 on ebay for under a hundred dollars -- even an Ultra, there's one for $56 with 17 hours left as I type this. This was top of the line a few months ago.
Old 10-29-01, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by einTier
By the way, if you ever want to make those machines perform as a nice gaming machine, a nice 3D card and a bit of RAM would do it.

RAM is cheap, cheap, cheap these days, so cheap in fact, that a friend gave me a 256 MB stick of SDRAM for no reason other than he couldn't use it.

If you bide your time, you can pick up a GeForce 2 on ebay for under a hundred dollars -- even an Ultra, there's one for $56 with 17 hours left as I type this. This was top of the line a few months ago.
I sticking to the very basics on the computer for my girl (age 7), but as mention on the other computer, I think I am going to upgrade the video card to the GeForce 2. Since they both come w/256k of memory thru the end of the month, that should to the ticket!

I'm surprise I'm able to get P4's in the buget I set ($1,400 for both), and a true bonus to be able to get Dell's.
Old 10-29-01, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sticking to the very basics on the computer for my girl (age 7), but as mention on the other computer, I think I am going to upgrade the video card to the GeForce 2. Since they both come w/256k of memory thru the end of the month, that should to the ticket!

I'm surprise I'm able to get P4's in the buget I set ($1,400 for both), and a true bonus to be able to get Dell's.
yeah dell is great right now. I am surprised they make much of anything on the entry level computers. The only difference from the business and home divisions is that someone said they charge tax in the small business division. not sure myself since I only used the home part of dell and i did not pay any tax

I just wish they built using AMD's and i might even look at them
Old 11-12-01, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got an e-mail that my Dell's shipped-here's the deal I got...

As a reminder was getting TWO computers. One for my 7 year old (about to turn 8) who is still learning, and on for my recently turned 11 year. Dell sent me a note they shipped on the 9th. I ordered on the 31st so not bad.

Computer ONE (for the 7 year old)
Dell 4300 series (small business)
P4 1.6GHz
SPECIAL offer 256 memory for price of 128
Dell Keyboard
Video Ready w/o monitor (I have an extra monitor)
16MB ATI Rage Ultra 4X AGP Graphics Card
20GB Value Hard Drive
3.5 in Floppy Drive
Win ME w/free XP Home Upgrade Coupon
MS IntelliMouse
No Network Card
No Modem (going wireless or our cable modem)
48X CD ROM
Integrated Audio w/Soundblaster Pro 16
No Speaker Option (I have an extra set)
Works and Money Software
1 YR support
PRICE = $599.00

Computer TWO (for the newly 11 yr old)
SAME EXACT as above PLUS
Dell 15 in Monitor (limited desk space so nothing bigger)
Upgraded to 32MB NMIDIA GeForce 2 MX 4X AGP
PRICE = $739.00

Sub-total $1,338.00
Shipping $190.00
Shipping Coupon
Tax $74.92
Net Shipped $1412.92

My wife and I had set a $1400.00 budget. I had thought I could only get Celuron's for that. Imressed I could get P4's for that. Even more impressed that I could get Dell's. I know these are NOT the ultimate gaming, graphics machines. However for homework, continuing to learn on computers, surfing, and I'm sure the OCCASIONAL game , think they will be just fine....
Old 11-13-01, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Got an e-mail that my Dell's shipped-here's the deal I got...

As a reminder was getting TWO computers. One for my 7 year old (about to turn 8) who is still learning, and on for my recently turned 11 year. Dell sent me a note they shipped on the 9th. I ordered on the 31st so not bad.

Computer ONE (for the 7 year old)
Dell 4300 series (small business)
P4 1.6GHz
SPECIAL offer 256 memory for price of 128
Dell Keyboard
Video Ready w/o monitor (I have an extra monitor)
16MB ATI Rage Ultra 4X AGP Graphics Card
20GB Value Hard Drive
3.5 in Floppy Drive
Win ME w/free XP Home Upgrade Coupon
MS IntelliMouse
No Network Card
No Modem (going wireless or our cable modem)
48X CD ROM
Integrated Audio w/Soundblaster Pro 16
No Speaker Option (I have an extra set)
Works and Money Software
1 YR support
PRICE = $599.00

Computer TWO (for the newly 11 yr old)
SAME EXACT as above PLUS
Dell 15 in Monitor (limited desk space so nothing bigger)
Upgraded to 32MB NMIDIA GeForce 2 MX 4X AGP
PRICE = $739.00

Sub-total $1,338.00
Shipping $190.00
Shipping Coupon
Tax $74.92
Net Shipped $1412.92

My wife and I had set a $1400.00 budget. I had thought I could only get Celuron's for that. Imressed I could get P4's for that. Even more impressed that I could get Dell's. I know these are NOT the ultimate gaming, graphics machines. However for homework, continuing to learn on computers, surfing, and I'm sure the OCCASIONAL game , think they will be just fine....
looks like you got a good deal on both of these computers.

did they do anything for you when you called or did they only give you the online price.
I hope you get years of fun and learning out of these for your children
Old 11-13-01, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The ONLY add'l deal was if I wanted to spend more. As an example, they wanted to add a CD-RW for like $60.00 each, rather then the posted $90.00 (or something like that). They offered me simular deal on DVD-ROM, or add'l software (roughly 20-25% off posted prices). But for what I wanted (as I got), they would not do anything more. I spent about 15 minutes trying to talk them out of charging me that $77.00 tax, but would only consider it if I added other things...so basically got the posted prices (at that time). They were friendly and helpful though.
Old 11-13-01, 11:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

That's a helluva lota computer for a 7 year old. And I thought a commadore was cool.
Old 11-14-01, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
That's a helluva lota computer for a 7 year old. And I thought a commadore was cool.
YOU ARE RIGHT! However, wouldn't save any significate money by dropping down to Celeron. And to think BOTH my kids will have "more" computer then our main office computer (PIII 500 HTZ), my work provided laptop (PII) or this poor old personal laptop (PI). Maybe they will let us use THEIR computer if we ask REAL nice