Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Got a virus?

Old 10-14-01, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a virus?

How come the Anti virus software did not detect it even though I been updating it allmost every 3 days?I got a virus on my system after only i did a full scan on all of my drivers.And the Antivirus software is Norton.
Is there any other way to detect them before they infect your PC?
Old 10-14-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

KumarJ

There is always a window of opportunity for a virus to infect your PC even if you have AV software. Time will pass between when a virus is released and when the signatures are created. In this window of time you can be infected and never know it. With some virus code you can be infected through a legitimate communication that just exploits a programming flaw.

If you want to protect yourself 100%, turn the PC off and put it in your closet and never use it.

Otherwise make daily backups, this way you can always go back to the point in time right before you got the virus.
Old 10-14-01, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got no CDRW unit on my laptop but I have a external SCSI type M.O Drive.Which I make backups as recommended by the NAV.
Can I boot up with a SCSI unit?Cause the backup is very big.
Old 10-19-01, 04:02 AM

Virus

Another thing to remember is to allways right click and "save as" or choose "save this file to disk", if prompted, when downloading e-mail attachments. Norton will miss some viruses when you just click the link and open file using word or some other program.