Reload this Page >

Can a DVD-ROM convert from Pal -> NTSC?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-14-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I recently read on another forum that a DVD-ROM can convert a PAL signal to NTSC. I'm not sure if my DVD-ROM is region-free (I'm going to check this weekend), but if it is region-free, would I be able to play a R2 PAL disc on it? I'm using Cinemaster player (not sure which version) and PowerDVD 3.0. Thanks.
Old 10-14-01, 01:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The DVD-ROM doesn't care about NTSC or PAL. Your video card outputting s-video or composite to a TV may. If you watch on a computer monitor you won't have any problem.

If you can make your DVD-ROM region-free, you may also need the DVD Genie software to override your software player's region-locking.
Old 10-14-01, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the nice segue, X. My next question was about DVDGenie.

I have DVDGenie downloaded on my PC. How would I go about using it with PowerDVD 3.0? I was playing around with PowerDVD yesterday, and the Player Region Code (or something like that) is listed as "not specified". Does that mean that it is region free? Thanks again.

BTW, I do use watch my DVDs on my computer monitor when I use my ROM.
Old 10-14-01, 06:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by scott27
I have DVDGenie downloaded on my PC. How would I go about using it with PowerDVD 3.0?
If I remember correctly, you just fire up DVD Genie and it gives you several players, as well as many options, to control. You set particular parameters, or just the region, and then DVD Genie starts up the player. I only use it when I'm changing region, so not very often.

If you've played a region-coded movie using PowerDVD and it says "not specified" it sounds like you're in good shape. I don't remember for sure what it says when it's made regionless with DVD Genie, but I think it still says it is a particular region, you just have unlimited change ability.

I do know PowerDVD does lock into a region and allows you 5 (I think) changes before it sticks on the last one without DVD Genie.
Old 10-15-01, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks again, X. In all my infinite wisdom, I somehow made it so that PowerDVD's player region code is set to R1.

1 last question. I used Drive Info 1.1 on my hardware player that came with my system to make sure it wasn't region locked. Drive Info said it "has region protection." That isn't locked, is it?

Again, thanks for your help. Now, I just have to get a hold of a non-R1 disc to see if I can actually play them. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-01, 10:34 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by scott27
Thanks again, X. In all my infinite wisdom, I somehow made it so that PowerDVD's player region code is set to R1.

1 last question. I used Drive Info 1.1 on my hardware player that came with my system to make sure it wasn't region locked. Drive Info said it "has region protection." That isn't locked, is it?

Again, thanks for your help. Now, I just have to get a hold of a non-R1 disc to see if I can actually play them. Thanks again.
Drive info will tell you if your drive is region locked. Based on what you're saying here, you won't be able to play non-R1 discs without a drive firmware upgrade.
Old 10-20-01, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good news. According to Drive Info, my DVD-ROM at home is not region locked. Thanks again for the help guys.