Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! Can't network print with HP 712C and Linksys BEFSR41

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-13-01, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a home LAN with two desktops and a loptop connected with a Linksys BEFSR41 router/firewall. The machines are all running W98, and one of the desktops has an HP 712C printer attached to it. I can print from both desktops, but have never been able to print from the laptop (although I thought I had installed the printer in the same way: go to network neighborhood, find the printer, and let the system install it).

Last week I flashed the BIOS and reinstalled W98 on the desktop without the printer, and reinstalled the printer. I now cannot print from that desktop, either!

The error message I get is:

"There was an error writing to \\DESK500\HP712C for the printer (HP Deskjet 710C Series); Your file waiting to be printed was deleted."

I also get a printer error window that states:
"Printer Error
The computer has lost communication with the printer.
Cancel printing, turn the printer off, then back on. Try printing again."

This last window offers the option to troubleshoot, but taking that path does not shed any light on the problem.

I have tried everything I can think of. Any ideas out there??
Old 10-13-01, 10:15 AM

BTW, I *DO* have file and printer sharing turned on, and I can transfer files between all of the computers with no problem.
Old 10-13-01, 10:30 AM

And I can print fine from the system to which the printer is attached.
Old 10-13-01, 06:17 PM

You can try removing and reinstalling the printer and or the file and printer sharing on the computer with the printer.

Also, did you try installing newer printer drivers for the HP712 on the computers w/o printers.

Last edited by BubbaX; 10-13-01 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-14-01, 10:25 AM

Thanks, BubbaX, but I have uninstalled the printer on all of the computers and reinstalled it, no joy.

I am more inclined to think that there is something wrong with the network (TCP/IP settings, etc.) but I don't know why file sharing would work then.

I have also dinked with the printer port settings on ALL of the computers (I know, getting desperate here), to no avail.