Reload this Page >

Install the new drivers... now help with boot.ini

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-13-01, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my friend says "Install the new NVIDEA drivers, it's like a 50% improvement."

More like a 100% de-improvement. Windows never recovered. My first truly fatal error with 2K. Nothing worked, so I used it as my excuse to do a formatting that's been about six months overdue.

...but it didn't recognise 98 on boot up, and it didn't put it in the list of boot options. I'm trying to add it, but cannot.

Here's what boot.ini looks like currently.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98"

win2k is installed on C:\, first (primary) partition of the first hard drive. Win98 is installed on D:\, first secondary partition of the first hard drive. I get the option for 98, but it will not boot. Ideas?

On the upside, W2K is faster than ever!
Old 10-13-01, 01:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you put Windows 98 on the second partition? Was it there before?

If you can, there may be some command.com and other basic stuff needed for Windows 98 on the first partition now missing since your format.
Old 10-13-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

that sucks that the nvidia drivers caused a problem.. I always grab the new detonator drivers for win2k/xp and they always work great for me..

here is my boot.ini if you want it for comparison..
Ive got 2k on C, and XP on D.. 2 different harddrives, so the rdisk will be different.. but everything else should be the same

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
Old 10-13-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
Can you put Windows 98 on the second partition? Was it there before?

If you can, there may be some command.com and other basic stuff needed for Windows 98 on the first partition now missing since your format.
Yeah, that's the deal, it was installed on the second partition and was working before I formatted the first partition and installed 2K.
Old 10-13-01, 02:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by einTier

Yeah, that's the deal, it was installed on the second partition and was working before I formatted the first partition and installed 2K.
Then I think you probably need some of the root Win98 files on C:\ like command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys, etc. Maybe you can find them from another Win98 setup. I don't have all their names at my fingertips.

You didn't have your old Win2K partition formatted as FAT32 and now you formatted it as NTFS, did you? Win98 wouldn't be able to read the first partition that way.
Old 10-13-01, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X

You didn't have your old Win2K partition formatted as FAT32 and now you formatted it as NTFS, did you? Win98 wouldn't be able to read the first partition that way.
Good guess, but no, I didn't do that.