Reload this Page >

What's The Deal With AT&T Broadband?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-13-01, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months ago, they inform all of their New England consumers that they are transferring their Road Runner service over to @Home. Well, early this week, their webpage was reconstructed, and now reads AT&T Road Runner ...

Old 10-13-01, 01:44 AM

It might have something to do with @home filing bankruptcy and not accepting new customers.
Old 10-13-01, 01:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Shay
It might have something to do with @home filing bankruptcy and not accepting new customers.
That would explain it. Thanks bud.
Old 10-13-01, 01:52 AM
Banned

It does. As of 12:00PM Thursday, they stop accepting new customers. I have a feeling @Home might tank soon. AT&T owns a majority piece of @Home's pie. Then again, AT&T Broadband might not last. Comcast is offering to buy them out. Broadband is AT&T's number one money losing entity.
Old 10-13-01, 02:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mysterX
Then again, AT&T Broadband might not last. Comcast is offering to buy them out. Broadband is AT&T's number one money losing entity.
Maybe AT&T's piracy numbers are to blame? 27% at last look ...
Old 10-13-01, 04:39 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does that mean that i'm gonna lose my cable modem service???
Old 10-13-01, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by namja
does that mean that i'm gonna lose my cable modem service???
You, me and everyone on cable hopes that will not happen.
Old 10-14-01, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No way, man. I just got an email from @home :
Dear Valued Customer:

AT&T remains committed to working with [email protected]'s management
and the bankruptcy court to provide uninterrupted high-speed
cable Internet service to our customers, as well as continuing
relationships with other cable companies to ensure seamless
service to their customers on the @Home network.

If the asset sale is approved, AT&T also plans to build on
the assets it acquires to develop a more robust network while
improving and growing our broadband high-speed Internet access
business for all cable company subscribers.

Sincerely,
AT&T Broadband
I sincerely hope nothing happens to ATT @Home, I just got the service installed 2 weeks ago!
Old 10-14-01, 12:02 AM
Banned

I've had my cable-modem service through AT&T since May. I have seen their service, customer service, and all around product go straight to hell in the last 7-10 days.

I am seriously considering Verizon DSL ...
Old 10-14-01, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Soup Nazi
I've had my cable-modem service through AT&T since May. I have seen their service, customer service, and all around product go straight to hell in the last 7-10 days.

I am seriously considering Verizon DSL ...
That's weird, mine seems fine, albeit a bit slow, but still around 3.5megs. Does this sort of thing only happen if you're with them for a while?
Old 10-14-01, 12:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by huzefa
That's weird, mine seems fine, albeit a bit slow, but still around 3.5megs. Does this sort of thing only happen if you're with them for a while?
Not sure. Tonight, I have had to release my IP address 16 times, and then renew it. Their service has been horrendous in my area lately. They say that AT&T is doing something with the servers, but this is just not acceptable ...
Old 10-14-01, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure. Tonight, I have had to release my IP address 16 times, and then renew it. Their service has been horrendous in my area lately. They say that AT&T is doing something with the servers, but this is just not acceptable ...
That sux. I was talking to my neighbor a couple of days ago and he has the same [email protected] service as me. But he told me there are only about 70 people on our node, so that's the reason why we get such great speeds. But I gotta agree about the customer service, it takes like 40 minutes to speak to an actual person. Thankfully, I haven't had need to speak to anyone ever since it was installed. But I usually can fix any problem that happens at my end..... it's when things start to go wrong at their end that the bad things happen.
Old 10-14-01, 01:12 AM
Banned

That sux. I was talking to my neighbor a couple of days ago and he has the same [email protected] service as me. But he told me there are only about 70 people on our node, so that's the reason why we get such great speeds. But I gotta agree about the customer service, it takes like 40 minutes to speak to an actual person. Thankfully, I haven't had need to speak to anyone ever since it was installed. But I usually can fix any problem that happens at my end..... it's when things start to go wrong at their end that the bad things happen.
70 for you, maybe 70,000 for me. You see, the only time I call AT&T is when I am telling them (not requesting) to credit my account for outage-time. I can fix all the issues too, but why pay full price for something that works 50% of the time.

Verizon DSL is not too far away ...
Old 10-14-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

70 for you, maybe 70,000 for me. You see, the only time I call AT&T is when I am telling them (not requesting) to credit my account for outage-time. I can fix all the issues too, but why pay full price for something that works 50% of the time.

Verizon DSL is not too far away ...
Yeah, that's really too bad. But I think I've paid my fair share when I was with Telocity & then Mindspring after Telocity cut me off. That was the worst service I've ever had and 1/4 of the time, it was slower than dialup.
Old 10-14-01, 01:30 AM
Banned

Yeah, that's really too bad. But I think I've paid my fair share when I was with Telocity & then Mindspring after Telocity cut me off. That was the worst service I've ever had and 1/4 of the time, it was slower than dialup.
I've heard some of those horror stories ...

I have had Verizon hounding me to set up a DSL account. If they want my business so bad, they're going to have to wire an additional outlet - as my make-shift apartment office doesn't have a telephone jack in it ...
Old 10-14-01, 10:41 PM

I hope that AT&T is able to purchase @home. I read that the bond holders are trying to find a buyer that is willing to pay a higher price. It would be terriable to go back to dial up. Especially since I just bought a cable modem a couple of months ago.
Old 10-15-01, 11:58 PM
Banned

I hope that AT&T is able to purchase @home. I read that the bond holders are trying to find a buyer that is willing to pay a higher price. It would be terriable to go back to dial up. Especially since I just bought a cable modem a couple of months ago.
AT&T will purchase @home when they shut down operations. Why? Bargain. That's the same thing they did with NorthPoint when the filed Chapter 13. I doubt that AT&T will purchase @home's customers. AT&T is only interest in their assets.
Old 10-16-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
[HIGH-PITCHED, SLIGHTLY GIRLISH, PANICKED SCREAM]

Don't make me go back to dial-up, man! Don't make me go back to dial-up!

[/HIGH-PITCHED, SLIGHTLY GIRLISH, PANICKED SCREAM]