Reload this Page >

Installing Adaptec 1502 SCSI Card in Windows 2000

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-12-01, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm attempting to install an Adaptec 1502 ISA SCSI card on my PC running Windows 2000, however it isn't plug and play and when I run Add New Hardware it doesn't recognize anything. Any ideas?

I searched around and found this article on Iomega's Website, since I'm attempting to connect a SCSI Zip Drive.

http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/10574.html

How ever that didn't work, so I'm looking for suggestions.

I've got a Tyan SL1832 Dual Processor Motherboard if that would make any differences.

As always, any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon Lord
Old 10-12-01, 08:19 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You probably need to go into your BIOS and assign an interrupt as Legacy or ISA, not PCI or Plug and Pray. I believe that card likes IRQ 11. You should not use IRQ 9 because just about every other device will be there -- you want something unique.

Depending on your BIOS, you may be able to assign the IRQ 11 to a particular slot which would be the best way to do it. You probably should also tell your BIOS you are not running a Plug and Pray OS (I think that's what the option is called) too.

Then Win2K should be able to handle finding the device and loading the driver.
Old 10-13-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

X: Thanks for the information. I changed both of those settings and I was able to set the Interrupt to 11 with no conflicts, however I am still getting an error when installing the drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon Lord

Last edited by Jon Lord; 10-14-01 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-13-01, 01:47 AM
X
Administrator

That's a kinda real generic error there. Does the device show up in the Device Manager having the correct IRQ? There could also be an I/O port address problem, you might check that out too to see if there's any conflict. Have you checked Adaptec to see if they have a Win2K driver on their website?

About the only thing I can think of is trying it myself. I think I have a 1502 around here and I think I have Win2K on a machine with an ISA slot. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll stick it in and see what happens.

I can't promise that I'll get to it so I recommend you check with Adaptec's site first.
Old 10-13-01, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have checked Adaptec's website and that is where the problem begins. From what I have read, Adaptec doesn't recognize the 1502 as its product because it was only sold OEM (Bundled with the Zip Drive), so it doesn't have any product support on the website. The card does not show up in the device manager, since it lacks the necessary drivers I suppose. I previously had the card in another PC that was running Win2k and it worked fine for a while, until the Hard Drive went bad, but I haven't figured out how to get it configured in this PC.

-- Jon Lord
Old 10-13-01, 01:13 PM
X
Administrator

I did some research on the card. It appears its default IRQ is 10, not 11 as I said. I used 11 for it in NT4. You did set its jumper, didn't you? It should use whatever IRQ you specify, but you would have to make sure the driver also did that. Did you go into Device Manager and set the IRQ (and maybe I/O) by hand to make sure they correspond to your jumpers?

The default settings of the Adaptec 1502 card are address:
140h and IRQ: 10. If you need to change the jumpers
physically on the interface card, locate the jumpers now,
which are made up of pairs of pins as shown on your
installation guide.

And this, so perhaps a manual override of the Windows 2000 driver choice would help.

I found out that the Windows 2000 AVA-1502 driver is really the driver for the AHA-1502; it is, indeed, the Sparrow driver, which Linux users know and configure as the AHA-152x. And it worked.

Do you want to give these a try?
Old 10-13-01, 02:32 PM
X
Administrator

I can't get it to work with several drivers and IRQ's either. Looks like it's time for you to buy a real SCSI card.

I did see this since, but didn't try it:

TRY USING THE AHA 1520 DRIVERS BUILT IN TO WINDOWS 2000. IT WORKS FOR MY AVA 1502E
Old 10-14-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

X: Thanks again for all the info. I still didn't get it to work, so I guess I look to get something else.

Thanks again,
Jon Lord

P.S. You can lock this thread if you wish