Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need Quick Help with new OEM AMD prcessor. Install Question?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-12-01, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just about to pop in a new 900MHZ Athlon Processor and need a little help fast. It has been a long while since I built a machine and I need to know two things. I am used to there being a metal cap on top of the CPU.

Do you place the HS and fan right on top of the processor? - centering it over the rectangular silver piece of metal that has the chip ID info etched in?

Also, There are four round spongy cushion bumpers at the four corners of the chip. Do those remain? Do you place the HS and fan right on these?

Thanks for any help,

C. Ryan
Old 10-12-01, 05:09 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds about right, but I haven't done an AMD chip.

You might want to find out for sure from someone who knows the details and the thermal paste stuff. You might want to do a search here as I remember seeing stuff here about it.

Do not power on even for a second without the heatsink!
Old 10-12-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
Do not power on even for a second without the heatsink!
I'm pretty sure you can power it up without the heatsink (for a short time). The problem with them is when they are warmed up and lose the sink.
I'm not sure how long it would take, but I'm sure it would be at least 10-15 seconds for it to heat up from a cold boot to the point of failure.

Oh, and also
Old 10-12-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Need Quick Help with new OEM AMD prcessor. Install Question?

Originally posted by CRyan
Just about to pop in a new 900MHZ Athlon Processor and need a little help fast. It has been a long while since I built a machine and I need to know two things. I am used to there being a metal cap on top of the CPU.

Do you place the HS and fan right on top of the processor? - centering it over the rectangular silver piece of metal that has the chip ID info etched in?

Also, There are four round spongy cushion bumpers at the four corners of the chip. Do those remain? Do you place the HS and fan right on these?

Thanks for any help,

C. Ryan
does the heatsink already come with athermal pad- if so take off the colored tape over it. then place the HS/Fan on the cpu like you mentioned centered over the center where the writing is Leave on the pads it helps make cracking your core harder.

If no thermal pad comes with the Heatsink then you need some thermal paste like artic silver.

put it on then do the same thing as above.

Last attach the heatsink for good

be careful to not apply too much pressure or cracked core
Old 10-13-01, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's an indepth article on installing an AMD processor:
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/cpu/socka/1.html
Old 10-13-01, 03:41 AM

Thanks guys. It was a CoolerMaster HSF and had a thermal compound already on it. Oddly enough, there was no tape over it - was shipped with a clear plastic boot over the bottom instead.

Anyway, got it together with the ECS Sis735 MB and no problems. Easiest build I have ever had I musts say.

Anyway, after about 5 hours use installing stuff and just internet surfing and downloading, the CPU was right at 43 degrees Celsius. Is that pretty typical?

Thanks for the help. I read what you all posted and went to work!

C. Ryan
Old 10-13-01, 03:50 AM

Oh and one more thing. Are HSF's always that difficult to get on. Good lordy, I thought I was going to kill it while prying that thing on with a screwdriver. I don't remember it being that bad before several years ago.

C. Ryan
Old 10-13-01, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I had a Cooler Master, and it was a bitch to get on and off. Eventually I ditched it in favor of one of those turbine-shaped units that slipped on a lot easier.

RD
Old 10-14-01, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HSFs are usually a pain to get on. I've had to take mine off a couple times (to overclock ) and each time I though I was going to break something.

43 Celsius is perfectly fine. My system runs about that level. Here's a link about CPU temperature:
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/a...349418,00.html

As long as you're not overclocking then I wouldn't worry too much about that temp.