Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Win XP

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about Win XP

Old 10-12-01, 11:59 AM
Buffetman

Question about Win XP

Not to sound like a moron, but what is the difference between the $99 upgrade and the other $199 version. And if you are going to use XP which one will you buy?
Old 10-12-01, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The upgrade requires you to have a previous Windows installation available on your PC. The "complete" version can install to a newly formatted HD.

I'm using WindowsXP Professional (full version). I was able to purchase it through my university since we have a licensing agreement with Microsoft. They shipped it around the same time they released XP to the major computer manufactures.
Old 10-12-01, 01:12 PM

Ditto Bartley's info on the upgrade vs. full version. Get the Professional edition, as it offers more options and power than the 'home' edition, or whatever they're calling it. FWIW, this is the OS Microsoft should have been giving us all aong-all the security and power of Win2000 with all the hardware compatibility and ease of use of Win98. A winner!
Old 10-12-01, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Roy Batty
Ditto Bartley's info on the upgrade vs. full version. Get the Professional edition, as it offers more options and power than the 'home' edition, or whatever they're calling it. FWIW, this is the OS Microsoft should have been giving us all aong-all the security and power of Win2000 with all the hardware compatibility and ease of use of Win98. A winner!
There is no reason to get Professional unless you need the following:

* Multi-processor support;
* Ability to join a domain;
* Remote desktop capabilities (terminal services).

The only other significant difference previously was that Professional had multi-monitor capabilities, but that was added to Home Edition after requests by beta testers.

I've been running both versions for the past year, and there really is no point for home end-users to get Professional (unless you are one of the cases above of course).
Old 10-12-01, 02:04 PM

Also, you should be able to use an upgrade product to install on a newly formatted drive.

C. Ryan
Old 10-13-01, 02:18 AM

Anyone know what happens with the uppgrade version.Does it just check for win98 and if so how much of it(specific files?) and then completely overwrites it?I thought XP is based on a different kernel(NT,2000) so it would not need any of win98 to work.In other words is the XP uppgrade really a full install?
Old 10-13-01, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Check out Ebay

Here is a link to a search I did for OEM copies.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ty=MetaEndSort

OEM is the same thing as the retail version except you don't get the box. It's the version that goes out to computer makers.

And as far as installing an upgrade on a blank hard drive, I did it with Win98 and Win 98 Second Edition. I booted of the CD with a blank HD and it ran set up normally. Only difference is I needed to stick a Windows 95 CD or floppy's in for it to make sure I had the older OS. Since the upgrade has all the files of the full version I can assume it'll work unless they changed the setup scripts to disable it.
Old 10-13-01, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Check out Ebay

Originally posted by teplitsa
OEM is the same thing as the retail version except you don't get the box. It's the version that goes out to computer makers.
Almost the same. OEM is supported by the OEM while retail is supported directly by MS. So if you're someone who wants support from MS you'll want the retail release. MS has been know to offer limited support for OEM releases, but it's really the OEM's responsibility.

That being said I'd buy the OEM version (you'll find better support in a forum like AnandTech or Ars anyway). If you don't want to get it from eBay most small mom and pop PC shops usually have OEM versions available or you can generally pick it up at computer shows. I guess it's all over the place at the computer show here in the Twin Cities this weekend.
Old 10-13-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Support?

I could be wrong, but isn't support from Microsoft only for 90 days or something like that? Afterwards you pay per incident. I know for corporate you have to buy support contracts for PSS service.
Old 10-14-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Support?

Originally posted by teplitsa
I could be wrong, but isn't support from Microsoft only for 90 days or something like that? Afterwards you pay per incident. I know for corporate you have to buy support contracts for PSS service.
IIRC it's for 2 separate incidents requiring support. I've never used them for support personally. If I'm having a problem that I can't solve I'll usually check Google groups or ask on AnandTech.
Old 10-16-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a DELL with ME right now. I plan on upgrading to WIn XP Home edition as soon as DELL offers it to me. I can get the upgrade for $20.00. My question is... I understand that I do not have to format my hard drive if I don't want to,,,,... right? I would prefer not to format it because then I have to reinstall all my other programs. My other question... I have 2 harddrives, they both are formated in FAT32 file system. If I do the upgrade will it change the file system to NTFS so I can break the 4gig file size limit? If it doesn't can I have one drive with the OS in FAT32 and then format my other drive into NTFS, so I can have larger then 4 gig files on that drive?
Old 10-16-01, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

WinXP

Originally posted by ANDREMIKE
I have a DELL with ME right now. I plan on upgrading to WIn XP Home edition as soon as DELL offers it to me. I can get the upgrade for $20.00. My question is... I understand that I do not have to format my hard drive if I don't want to,,,,... right? I would prefer not to format it because then I have to reinstall all my other programs. My other question... I have 2 harddrives, they both are formated in FAT32 file system. If I do the upgrade will it change the file system to NTFS so I can break the 4gig file size limit? If it doesn't can I have one drive with the OS in FAT32 and then format my other drive into NTFS, so I can have larger then 4 gig files on that drive?
I haven't used it yet, but if it's like Win2000 then it shouldn't cahnge automatically. You can use FAT32 or NTFS. But certain features require NTFS because they are built into the file system. And you can have FAT32 and NTFS in the same computer.

But they may force you into using NTFS. Another thing to consider is that XP uses a newer version of NTFT than Win2000 and earlier anti-virus or disk utility programs will not work.
Old 10-16-01, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't have to switch to NTFS to use XP. I wouldn't recommend the upgrade process however, a clean install is always better, and if you are doing a clean install, you may as well use NTFS.

Dave
Old 10-16-01, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Let me reiterate..... I am doing video editing and would prefer NTFS over FAT32. Thats because I typically would work with files over 4 gig. I would prefer not to do a total reinstall of everything. Since I hear that the VideoWave software that I work with is very sensitive and I am told if it is working then do not mess with it.
What are the consequences if I just to an update?
So by installing XP will I get the NTFS file system automatically?
If not can I have to seperate hard drives one with FAT32 and another with NTFS? Then, if my OS drive is FAT32(assuming it does not change it to NTFS) and my second drive is NTFS can I have larger then 4 gigfiles on my second drive?
Old 10-16-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I first installed XP, I did a upgrade of an fairly new existing win2k system. It ran slower than a clean install (easily noticeable) and I got a few errors. Doing a clean install ran much smoother.

No, you can keep FAT 32 no problem.

If not can I have to seperate hard drives one with FAT32 and another with NTFS? Then, if my OS drive is FAT32(assuming it does not change it to NTFS) and my second drive is NTFS can I have larger then 4 gigfiles on my second drive?
Yes, you can have one drive NTFS and the other one FAT32. You can even have NTFS and FAT32 on the same drive if you have more than one partition.

FWIW, An upgrade install over WinME might work better for you than my upgrade from Win2k. I've just never had a windows upgrade work as well as a clean install.

Dave
Old 10-16-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me reiterate..... I am doing video editing and would prefer NTFS over FAT32. Thats because I typically would work with files over 4 gig. I would prefer not to do a total reinstall of everything. Since I hear that the VideoWave software that I work with is very sensitive and I am told if it is working then do not mess with it.
If you upgrade you will probably still be using FAT32. If you want to use NTFS you will have to do a complete install from scratch. Keep in mind ome programs might not work under NTFS. I agree with Dave99 clean install would be best
Old 10-16-01, 03:04 PM

IMO upgrading an OS is about the worst thing you can do to your computer (from a software point of view of course... well OK it is not the worst thing you can do but you get the idea ). I would never do an upgrade, it is much better to do a clean install. I would suggest you to keep you current OS if you don't want to format. And I would recommend to format and do a clean install every year (or 2 years max). You could be surprised to see how faster things can run with a clean registry.

And if you want to keep some files, don't forget that you can always make a partition and move the files to this partition (of course you still need to reinstall everything).