Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Motherboard/Memory Incompatibility?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-12-01, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Abit BF6 motherboard that is used with a FC-PGA 1GHz P3, FSB @ 133MHz. The board has 3 DIMM slots that each support up to 256MB for total of 768MB of RAM. However, I find that whenever I utilize all 3 DIMM slots, I experience system lockups that most frequently coincide with activity on either the onboard ATA/33 IDE controller or my Adaptec 2940U2W PCI SCSI controller. (BTW, all my main devices have their own IRQs.)

All my DIMMs are rated at least 256MB PC133 CL2 and are branded. I have tried just using 1 or 2 sticks of RAM and moved them around in the DIMM slots. I have no problems whatsoever under these conditions, even if I select the most aggressive (performance optimized) settings in the BIOS. The lockups only happen when I have all 3 DIMM slots populated, regardless of combination, regardless of BIOS settings.

I have heard that the Abit BF6 is among Abit's worst in terms of stability. Sadly, I found this out far after I had already owned the motherboard. Others have experienced varying levels of increased stability when they upgraded their power supplies. I have tried this as well: I swapped out my Powerman 300W PS for an Antec 400W PS, and it doesn't help.

Below is my setup:
- Intel P3 1GHz, FC-PGA, non-overclocked
- Abit BF6
- 2 sticks of Viking Components 256MB PC133 CL2, 1 stick of OCZ 256MB PC150 CL2
- Hercules Prophet DDR-DVI (GeForce 256 DDR, AGP)
- Intel Etherexpress Pro/100B NIC (PCI)
- Aureal Vortex 1 soundcard (PCI)
- Diamond SupraExpress 56 (modem)
- Quantum Atlas 10k Ultra160 harddrive
- Seagate Barracuda UltraSCSI harddrive
- Iomega Jaz SCSI internal removable media drive
- Teac CD-R56S SCSI CD-R drive
- Pioneer DVD114 Atapi DVD-ROM drive
- Win2k SP2 (Win9x won't handle that much RAM well)

I could really appreciate any help on this matter. Abit tech support is a bit slow, and they haven't been very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-01, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk God

just out of curiousity.. have you tried flashing your bios to a newer version?

Ive got an abit BE6 II, and Im running 768mb in it.. it didnt want to run smooth with all the extra memory until I flashed the bios.. but now it runs like a champ
Old 10-12-01, 09:39 PM

I already have the latest BIOS update (revision BEHXU) for my Abit BF6. Do you have the original BE6-II or the BE6-II revision 2? From what I understand, the original BE6-II and the BF6 share the same BIOS and only differ in the additional ATA/66 controller that the BE6-II has.