Reload this Page >

Saving streaming video

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Saving streaming video

Old 10-11-01, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saving streaming video

any way to do it(Microsoft media player)?
Old 10-11-01, 03:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Someone mentioned the program "Getright" when discussing .rm files recently. Don't know if that is of any use, though!

I mentioned Streambox and X File Get in another recent thread but, again, I don't know for certain if it assists with the files you are hoping to capture.

Last edited by benedict; 10-11-01 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-11-01, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

yep.. you can set getright to do it.. (if you cant just rightclick the link and hit 'save target as')
alot of people just stream it and pull it out of their temp folder
Old 10-12-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do a search for "ASFRecorder". It'll save all the Windows Media file types (asf, asx...), as for Real Media or anything else I have no idea.
Old 10-12-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
getright works great if you can get the full path to the file
Old 10-19-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GetRight will only work for ASF videos that are served via the http protocol. Most streaming video sites, use mms (or whatever)...GetRight can't get those.

ASFRecorder can pull down any ASF. It also can parse the .ASX redirector file and process all the ASF's listed within. Great for films that are multipart.

StreamBox VCR is the tool for downloading RealVideo files. (again, GetRight could download .rm files served via http, but not via rtps, pnm, and other Real Server protocols) StreamBox VCR can parse the .ram redirector file and download all of the .rm files listed within. Note: This is a different product than StreamBox Ripper.
Old 10-19-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.camtasia.com

can capture anything you see on your screen. Works very well.
Old 10-19-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
And just to complete the triad, here are some instructions on how to save QuickTime Streaming content (works for most QT streaming movies):

Hi all,

today I've something special (more a hint than a [k] but some people asked my if it's possible
to save a QT-Streaming movie - the answer is yes.

I'll explain it on a public available stream at:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/titan_ae/

Step by step:

1. Start the movie stream (simply click the poster)

2. After the connection is established - save the movie stub to disk (Save as self...). Now you
should have a small movie file on your HD (some kb but not the whole movie)

3. Now comes the "trick": Open this file with Resourcerer/HexEdit or any other utilitie that allow
you to examine the DATA-FORK of the file...Inside the DF you will find a URL - for titan_ae:
'mdatrtsp://a1140.q.kamai.net/7/1140/157/39119a68/stream.qtv.apple.com/channels/foxmovies/rtsp/050400/titanAE_40.mov'

NOTE: The filename of the movie may depend on your QT Connection-Speed setting - to get a
best quality available you should set your Connection Speed to Intranet/LAN.

4. Now simply copy the important part of the url and paste it into your browsers location field - in
this case: 'stream.qtv.apple.com/channels/foxmovies/rtsp/050400/titanAE_40.mov'

5. Press Return and viola your browser should start downloading....wait until the movie has fully
loaded - now you can save the FULL movie to your hd :-)

That's all ;-)

HotSix

P.S. Thanks to Todd for providing the example url's :-)

Another way

Quicktime downloads the file saves it to the Temporary Items folder on your disk. Use Sherlock
to search for file that were created today. (the day you downloaded the trailer) and find the
large (many MBs) file in the Temp' Items folder. Mine was named "QTPluginTempxxxxxxx". Drag it
from Sherlock to the desktop.

Now you need to change the file type to Quicktime. I used "ICTypeChanger" which I got at
versiontracker. You change the file name to add a ".mov" to the end "QTPluginTempxxxxxx.mov".
Then just drag and drop onto the ICTypeChanger icon. Then double click the file.