Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How much would you charge your boss to set up a CPU?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-11-01, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boss's daughter did something to her CPU that wiped out everything. They took it to the BB they brought it from and all the service they got was "all parts and components check out OK", but they wouldn't set the machine up. When I ask them (boss & her daughter) what did she do, I get the "I don't know" answer. My boss asked me if I could set it up (install OS and a few programs) and how much would I charge for it. I was going to do it for free, but the thought that my boss makes close to 3 times what I bring home makes me wanna So, what would DVDTalkers charge for a situation like this?
Old 10-11-01, 08:44 AM
Mod Emeritus

If it were my boss, and I wasn't going to have to go way out of my way to do it, I would almost certainly do it for free. I figure that the "good will" value to my boss is worth more than the few dollars that I could get for the work. Of course, I've got a pretty good boss... the kind of guy who *will* remember the things I do to help him out, so that make the decision easy for me.
Old 10-11-01, 09:34 AM

"And I remember runnin' down the beach at night with my old boss's daughter...Well, he ain't my boss no more, Sandy" (Springsteen)

I do these types of things for free for any of the 100+ people I work with. At times, I'll spend hours trying to tweak things as if it were my pc and was trying to get another year out of it. It's what I do, and isn't any big deal. What goes around comes around, and this guy probably does your review, too.
Old 10-11-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do it for free, then ask for a raise when your performance review comes up.
Old 10-11-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would do it for free.

but if you can do it on company time
Old 10-11-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Installing the O/S and a few programs (as per your description) would be a fairly easy task. You might also amuse them by installing the extras off of the cdrom and setting up a pinball game with a player high-score name of "gimmee_a_raise"....

Anyways, it's better to have goodwill from a free task especially if the daughter is a trash-talking teen who might diss your efforts behind your back. "oh this machine was setup up wrong, daddieeee, why'd you pay that jerk all that money for a crappieeee install. i keep trying to play mp3 using the MS Word program and it doesn't work. it must be the crapppieeeeee install job cuz itz all set up wrong!!!! Daddiieeee, fire his @ss!!!!"
Old 10-11-01, 04:20 PM

Hey Deadpool, do you play to Unreal Tournament CTF? I have seen Deadpool but maybe it is "another" Deadpool (my UT nick is DoH|JEDI)
Old 10-11-01, 06:56 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done it for free before kinda cool to be in with the boss and all.

Nice to check out his pad etc.

He gave me 3 or 4 six packs of guiness harp and bass cos I am irish, and he did not know which ones to get me.

Now when I did stuff for the other guys, was in a brokerage house, they would pay.

got a playstation and buncha other stuff of the brokers, basketball tickets etc.

do it for free.
Old 10-11-01, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

i work on alot of my coworkers home machines for free just out of good will.. minimal time and effort on my part
Old 10-11-01, 08:41 PM

Unlike the above I never do anything for free. I make 21 bucks an hour and charge 30 to 40 dollars an hour to do computer work on the side (I also work for beer, if it works out to more then my 30 dollars an hour, ie. 30 minutes). For what he wants i'd set a flat rate of 50 bucks, since most of the time will be spent waiting for things to finish..

People will abuse the privilege if you let them.. Never do anything for free...
Old 10-11-01, 09:14 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TLamm

People will abuse the privilege if you let them.. Never do anything for free...
I think the idea might be to maximize total income, not just a one-time thing. The boss would probably prefer to eventually spend the company's money rather than his. Any help in that direction is worth much more than a one-time fee.
Old 10-12-01, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
5% raise
it's the gift that keeps on giving