Reload this Page >

problems with my video when I add ram

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-10-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am running WinME and I had 264 megsof ram to start, so today I went out and bought a 512 chip to add to it. Well, when I added it the video of my computer would not go past 800x600 and the color would not go past 256. Thinking that the new chip maus be bad I took out the 512 and restarted the pc. Ran great. Now wantingto test the 512 chip I took out the 256 and replaced it with the 512. Once agin, it started with out a problem. But every time I try to put them both in at the same time I get the messed up video settings. I switched the slots that they sit in, and that did not help either.

First boot with them both is it I get the 800x600 screen, so I reset it to be 1280x1024, and set the colors to 32bit and it tells me I must restart for the settings to work. I do that, and then it comes up with a message saying that the video drivers are missing. The ATI icon does not show up in the tray, but the rest of the stuff is there. So I restart after reloading all the softwear that came with my radeon 64mb ddr card, and I get the same thing once I restart.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have a abit kt7a board if that matters.
Old 10-10-01, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I'm not sure, but I think you should check how much RAM your Motherboard can handle. This happened to a friend of mine's father with his sorry-ass e-machines. Check your MoBo's site for the info on your specific board.
Old 10-10-01, 07:07 PM

That board WILL support up to 1.5 gb, so that is not the problem. Different brands of ram will sometimes not play together well. This is probably the problem. Have you checked all three of the DIMM slots? Try running just one of the sticks in each slot to see if one of them is bad.

C. Ryan
Old 10-10-01, 07:19 PM

yea.. I checked all the slots on the board with each stick by themselves, and it checked fine.

It could possibly be the ram type, one is critical, and the other is not listed on the chip. I got it from a computer store who sells stuff that is not marked.
Old 10-10-01, 07:47 PM

also bear in mind that ME does not have the best memory management. You'll have to do some tweaking to get windows to take full advantage of all that RAM. In my experience, you'd be better off pulling out the old and just staying with the 512MB which ME and 2000 seem to be very happy with.
Old 10-10-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

win 9x (including winME) have a problem handling more then 512mb of memory.. there is a vcache update to fix this problem.. although, winME has huge memory leaks, so the more memory you add, the bigger the leak will become
Old 10-10-01, 09:15 PM

well, that is what I did. I now have 512 megs of ram in my pc with 256 megs sitting in a bag.

Guess I will just have to wait till I get XP to try it again with it all at once.