Reload this Page >

Whats a good pay Usenet service?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-10-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Usenet off my isp, and now I'm thinking of getting a pay service. Not to mention that tanked some newsgroups like sounds, mp3, cd.image(s),multimedia. Also their news server doesnt get all the parts, and dont want to make request all the time.
Old 10-10-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.easynews.com

10 bucks a month for 6 gigs. All groups, fast speed, and a web site (or you can use your normal news program) that bundles all binaries together into a zip file for easy downloading.

Dave
Old 10-10-01, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got an extra computer? Buy a big 100GB harddrive, and make your own newsserver.
Old 10-10-01, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by einTier
Got an extra computer? Buy a big 100GB harddrive, and make your own newsserver.
Can you elaborate more on this?
Old 10-10-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Take your old computer, install a base copy of Linux or FreeBSD on the original drive. Then buy a 100GB drive and hook that up as the secondary drive. Install nntpd on the linux box (sorry, I've not done this, so I can't help here), and then pull only the newsgroups you want to create your own personalized newserver that doesn't miss parts or delete binaries after a day or two.
Old 10-10-01, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You would still have to pay a provider as it sounds like your ISP is blocking some groups.

Dave
Originally posted by einTier
Take your old computer, install a base copy of Linux or FreeBSD on the original drive. Then buy a 100GB drive and hook that up as the secondary drive. Install nntpd on the linux box (sorry, I've not done this, so I can't help here), and then pull only the newsgroups you want to create your own personalized newserver that doesn't miss parts or delete binaries after a day or two.
Old 10-10-01, 05:15 PM

Whichever one is "best" seems to change every now and then. Also, some people prefer news servers that are more "anonymous" because they post things that the RIAA and MPAA don't like. In today's climate, the concept of anonymous posting is almost gone though.

For discussions and names of which news provider service is "best", you might read the newsgroup "alt.binaries.news-server-comparison"

Also, the e-books FAQ lists any number of resources including free news servers from where you can get fills.

e-book FAQ with links to resources

The info you want is in the general tips for downloading section, but this website is pretty good as a general source of info about using Usenet from the perspective of using the binary newsgroups.

Last edited by Startide; 10-10-01 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-10-01, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

100 GB wouldnt even make a dent in the newsgroups

to have any rentention at all.. the alt.binaries alone, would need about a tetrabyte
Old 10-11-01, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use newsfeeds and I am happy with them. Long file retention and good download limits (around 11 gig per day). There is also Supernews, Giganews, Meganetnews, just to name a few more good ones.
Old 10-11-01, 02:59 PM

Thanks for all input guys.

It looks like I'm going with easynews.

Heres a link from the ebook faq kinda summarizing the Usenet proivders. http://www.exit109.com/%7Ejeremy/new...providers.html, also checked out alt.binaries.news-server-comparison