Reload this Page >

need help selecting a mobo for pen 4 1.7gig

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-09-01, 10:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a pen 4 chip from a friend and need help selecting a mobo......any idea of where i can start from? been looking at the ECS board but don't know if it is any good....
Old 10-10-01, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: need help selecting a mobo for pen 4 1.7gig

Originally posted by YNG68BLD
I just got a pen 4 chip from a friend and need help selecting a mobo......any idea of where i can start from? been looking at the ECS board but don't know if it is any good....
persoanlly I like ASUS. I would stay away from the RDram chipsets and buy one based on the 845 chipset.
here is a link to the motherboard at the ASUS website.

http://www.asus.com/products/Motherb...p4b/index.html

newegg.com has it for 145 plus 7 dollars shipping.

the ECS is available for 105 plus free shipping. I have no idea if it is good however.
Old 10-11-01, 01:04 AM

I just did this upgrade, a 1.7 P4 CPU and a motherboard, so I am very fresh on this topic. First of all, before even thinking about the mobo, you need to determine if your chip is a 423 or a 478 pin. These are two completely different chips. That means that the each require a differnent mobo, caveat: Not all P4 boards are the same. I have a 478 (anticipating it be the newer of the chipsets), but I balanced the pros and cons of either chipset before finally deciding. As for as either chipsets go, I would look really hard at the ASUS P4T for a 423 pin or the ASUS P4T-E for a 478 chipset. The only decision you really need to make is whether you want to go with DDR RAM (also, Not all RM is the same) or RDRAM. Both are great, but for different reason, but basically RDRAM is more expensive, but found on most every P4 board. DDR is hard to find on a motherboard because of Intel's lawsuit with Via Technology. Be prepared to buy all new RAM with watever board you choose, DDR or RD. I got a Shuttle DDR board, and it has about the exat same BIOS as the ASUS, an overclockers dream. I am in greeat support of the DDR chipsets because it is fast and cheap (bang-for-buck). Hope this helps you, I have invested alot of time shoppin for a P4, and anyone I can help makes it be in less vain.

Email for futher info: [email protected]