Reload this Page >

Boot from external drive?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-09-01, 03:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, brainstorm for me and tell me all the ways that this can be done. I just need an easy way to move the whole darn OS from machine to machine, plug the drive in, and be able to go at it.
Old 10-09-01, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Booting is a function of the BIOS, so this will vary from machine to machine.

Best solution?

SCSI drive in an external enclosure, with scsi cards in each machine. Set the BIOS to boot SCSI first when available.
Old 10-09-01, 04:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by 4KRG
Booting is a function of the BIOS, so this will vary from machine to machine.
Yes, I realize that... but, as of yet, there are no machines. I'll only know what they are after they are purchased, but I'm expected to have at least a few ideas about how to make this work when they order them (Sounds like government work, doesn't it? ). So, I just want to gather as many possibilities as I can find.

Best solution?

SCSI drive in an external enclosure, with scsi cards in each machine. Set the BIOS to boot SCSI first when available.
Ok, that's one idea... others?

Last edited by Dead; 10-09-01 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-09-01, 04:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Boot from external drive?

How big is the OS? Is CD an option? You could boot off a CD and use Ghost or something like that. Or do you need to run off the drive? In that case you could use removable drives in carriers. The machines would have to be identical in all these cases.
Old 10-09-01, 04:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Boot from external drive?

Originally posted by X
How big i the OS? Is CD an option? You could boot off a CD and use Ghost or something like that.
Another good question. And, the fact is, I again don't know! It might be Win2k, it might be Linux, it might be something else. This might be a good, cheap approach though... most every new system will boot from a CD.

Do you know anything about USB hard drives? Could we boot from CD then hit a USB hard drive (which I've never used and have been told can't be booted from)?
Old 10-09-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We use ghost here to do a quick setup on all the identical machines. It works pretty well for our purpose.

Dave
Old 10-09-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

removable drive carriers are a good idea, that way you can save some money on the SCSI cards. Simply take the drive out of the machine you want to use and stick your drive in.

Depending on the OS and the "hassle" factor you can accept all machines would not have to be identical.

I see no way to boot off a CD and use a USB drive, but if you are heading down this road the OS needs to be known. WIN2K will not boot and run from CD alone (no swap space).

I have not seen a BIOS that boots from USB hard drives. That does not mean one does not exist, it means I have never seen it.

Maybe you could tell us what you hope to accomplish?
Old 10-09-01, 04:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by 4KRG

Maybe you could tell us what you hope to accomplish?

I just want to make my users feel the love!

My users want to be able to use a limited number of systems to support several totally independant OS installs. Swap the drives out and the system is totally changed. They would also like, though this is harder to envision working, the ability to take the basic equipment home and work with the system as though they were at work.
Old 10-11-01, 10:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Come on guys... surely you can think of at least one or two more ways to do this!
Old 10-11-01, 01:35 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Dead
Come on guys... surely you can think of at least one or two more ways to do this!
I thought you wanted good answers, not just lots of them.

Ok, bootable Zip/Jazz or whatever it is, leave the machine open and let the user take the drive out, only allow OS's that can run off a floppy...
Old 10-17-01, 06:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Can a regular Zip drive be booted to Windows or Linux? Any more suggestions? (Sure, I prefer good ones, but I'll also take quantity for the purpose of offering options)

Last edited by Dead; 10-17-01 at 07:06 PM.