Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows locks up when playing Deer Hunter 5...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-09-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just pisses me off. While, playing, it locks everything up. I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to see my task manager, and I see that DH5 is using up 100% of my system resources!

I run a 900MHz AMD Duron with 256MB ram on Windows XP....yada yada. Does anyone know of this problem or a way for me to fix it?

If I need to 'update drivers' on my brand-new HP laptop, how do I do so? (dumb question, sorry).
Old 10-09-01, 05:31 PM

Is it the only game that you experience problems with?

If yes, then you should download/wait for a patch from the company that made this game. If you have problems with other games as well, then you need to check drivers/IRQs and stuff like that. I see that you are running XP (I also run it, it is really great!) so you can try to run the game in compatibility mode (try the Win OS the game was designed for) and make sure you use Win2k drivers for devices that do not have XP drivers yet (don't use the 9X/ME drivers).

Do you know that with that 900 Mhz cpu you could easily play to other games that also involve the use of a gun like Unreal Tournament (the most stable game I have ever seen) or Quake 3?
Old 10-09-01, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Solution: don't buy crap like Deer Hunter
It's only been out for two years, and they're already on part FIVE! Ugh... lol

Get a real FPS game. Quake 3. Unreal Tourney. HALFLIFE! lol

[/rant]
Old 10-09-01, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by shaun3000
Solution: don't buy crap like Deer Hunter
It's only been out for two years, and they're already on part FIVE! Ugh... lol

Get a real FPS game. Quake 3. Unreal Tourney. HALFLIFE! lol

[/rant]
That is what I just said... The way I wrote it was just more "diplomatic"

I don't see myself playing to Deer Hunter 5 and screaming with a "UT voice" HEAD SHOT, MONSTER KILL or GODLIKE!

Joking... well not that much
Old 10-09-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

haha

My dad buys nothing but these hunting games. They are always FULL of bugs as they are obviously put together VERY quickly with little, if any, beta testing.

So your problem could be anything. The hunting games, for the most part, are very shotty products.
Old 10-10-01, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I appreciate the thoughts that I shouldn't play these games -- that's not the topic of my thread.

FROM REAL BOBA FETT:
"I see that you are running XP (I also run it, it is really great!) so you can try to run the game in compatibility mode (try the Win OS the game was designed for) and make sure you use Win2k drivers for devices that do not have XP drivers yet (don't use the 9X/ME drivers)."

How would I go about doing that? I don't know how to use the compatibility mode or how to use the Win2k drivers on Windows XP, so please let me know how --- I'd love to have that for future use as well.

OKAY,
So what's the best FPS out there for PC? Unreal Tournament??
Old 10-10-01, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Toad
While I appreciate the thoughts that I shouldn't play these games -- that's not the topic of my thread.

FROM REAL BOBA FETT:
"I see that you are running XP (I also run it, it is really great!) so you can try to run the game in compatibility mode (try the Win OS the game was designed for) and make sure you use Win2k drivers for devices that do not have XP drivers yet (don't use the 9X/ME drivers)."

How would I go about doing that? I don't know how to use the compatibility mode or how to use the Win2k drivers on Windows XP, so please let me know how --- I'd love to have that for future use as well.

OKAY,
So what's the best FPS out there for PC? Unreal Tournament??
To use compatibility mode, simply right click on the shortcut of the game, go to the compatibility tab and then chose the Win OS you want to use.

For Win2k drivers, it is exactly the same way as WinXP drivers. When you download drivers, simply chose Win2k if there is no XP drivers (don't mess too much with drivers if you don't know what you are doing).

Unreal Tournament is IMO the best FPS game!
Old 10-10-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't really no JACK about drivers, other than, obviously, what they do and where they are. Besides that, its a mystery!

Thanks, I'll check out Unreal Tournament.