Reload this Page >

Who has recorded a DVD-R yet?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-08-01, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The thread about DVD-R prices has got me wondering, how many people here are taking advantage of this new technology?

I've recorded two DVDs so far, both with the iDVD software that came with my new G4. The quality is very nice at iDVD's default bitrate of 8 mbps. Footage from my GL1 looks as good as the original tape. Since the discs play okay on my set-top DVD player, I took the plunge into DVD Studio Pro, which lets you have full control over menu's, chapters, etc. I haven't finished a project yet, though. It's pretty easy software, but it's a time consuming process.

I am especially curious as to how well things are working out on the PC side. Since that's by far the larger market, how well this is accepted will dictate how fast prices drop, etc.
Old 10-08-01, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has recorded a DVD-R yet?

Originally posted by Jason
The thread about DVD-R prices has got me wondering, how many people here are taking advantage of this new technology?

I've recorded two DVDs so far, both with the iDVD software that came with my new G4. The quality is very nice at iDVD's default bitrate of 8 mbps. Footage from my GL1 looks as good as the original tape. Since the discs play okay on my set-top DVD player, I took the plunge into DVD Studio Pro, which lets you have full control over menu's, chapters, etc. I haven't finished a project yet, though. It's pretty easy software, but it's a time consuming process.

I am especially curious as to how well things are working out on the PC side. Since that's by far the larger market, how well this is accepted will dictate how fast prices drop, etc.
You mean you actually copied a movie or something that was on DVD onto another DVD? That's pretty cool. But how do you get the data from the first DVD onto your hard drive? I'm assuming that's where it is going to be when you start copying. Or do you just have another DVD-ROM drive?
Old 10-09-01, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Who has recorded a DVD-R yet?

Originally posted by huzefa
You mean you actually copied a movie or something that was on DVD onto another DVD? That's pretty cool. But how do you get the data from the first DVD onto your hard drive? I'm assuming that's where it is going to be when you start copying. Or do you just have another DVD-ROM drive?
I think he's talking about video footage he's shot with his Canon GL1 DV camcorder, and then editing it into a nice video presentation which he burns onto DVD. Like in this commercial:

http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/idvd_elope.html

I wish I could afford a nice camera like a GL1.

Anyway, as far as copying commercial DVDs, you'd have to use a program with DeCSS first to decrypt the video files and copy them to your hard drive, then you could burn it to DVD-R. However, with most DVDs these days being dual-layer, it's unlikely that all the data would be able to fit onto a DVD-R (which is only single-layer). When you also factor in the cost of DVD-R media at $6/disc, it's almost just easier to skip the hassle and buy the disc.
Old 10-09-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, if you are just copying a commercial DVD, you shouldn't have to decrypt it at all. If you just do a bit-wise copy, you'll copy the data over with all the encryption intact -- which of course, your set-top box will de-encrypt.

That's why DeCSS isn't about piracy, it's about control. DeCSS is most useful for playing DVDs on unauthorized players and operating systems.
Old 10-09-01, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
huzefa - No, I didn't copy a commercial DVD. Would be cool to do so, but the discs are just too expensive to make it worthwhile, and the dual layer thing would present problems.

Todd B. - Yeah, it's been test footage from the GL1. I also tested footage from the old HI-8 and VHS cameras, as well as some old stuff off TV (VHS EP stuff) that'll never be released commercially. if you use the maximum bitrate, only putting an hour on a DVD, pretty much everything will look just like your original footage.

einTier - Nero on the PC side will supposedly copy disc to disc like that, but I think it's the only program (for now) that will do that.
Old 10-09-01, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by einTier
Actually, if you are just copying a commercial DVD, you shouldn't have to decrypt it at all. If you just do a bit-wise copy, you'll copy the data over with all the encryption intact -- which of course, your set-top box will de-encrypt.
This won't work. You don't seriously think Hollywood would let it be THAT easy to make a perfect copy, do you? The whole point of CSS was to prevent you from doing a direct bit-wise copy of the data the way you can with CDs (because digital copying wasn't an issue when CDs were invented).

The decryption key for each CSS-encoded DVD is stored on the DVD itself. These keys are stored in an area of the DVD which is intentionally un-writable on DVD-R discs. Thus, you can directly copy the encrypted video files, but a DVD Player will not have the information necessary to decrypt the copied disc during playback.

Read these for more information on CSS and DeCSS:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.11

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.8
Old 10-09-01, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jason
einTier - Nero on the PC side will supposedly copy disc to disc like that, but I think it's the only program (for now) that will do that.
Nero can do a disc copy the same way Toast 5 can on the Mac, but that still doesn't let you copy and burn the necessary decryption keys for CSS-encrypted discs.
Old 10-10-01, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can a DVD Rom drive read a DVD-R?
Old 10-10-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mitsurugi
G-d I hope so.

(i've never burned a DVD-R or used a DVD-ROM drive but it would be a bitch, wouldn't it?!)
Old 10-10-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mitsurugi
Check here for a DVD Recordable compatibility table:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3