Reload this Page >

Scrolling problems in IE 5[.5?] SOLVED

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-08-01, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've read alot of complaints about scoll wheels not working properly in IE 5[.5?]

Anyway, I found the fix:
Go to Tools->Internet Options
Click the Advanced tab
Under the Browsing category, scroll down to one of the last options, Smooth Scrolling
Uncheck it

I dunno WHY Microsoft put this in, but it sucks... lol

Happy surfing
Old 10-08-01, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

>> I dunno WHY Microsoft put this in, but it sucks... lol

As for smooth scrolling, there are times it is useful. For example, some people have functions that let them rightclick once on a page and then they can move the mouse cursor slightly above the point they clicked to scroll smoothly upwards. The further they move the mouse cursor upwards from the point that they clicked, the faster the scrolling. Vice versa for downwards scrolling.

FACETIOUS APPLICATION OF SMOOTH SCROLLING:

To help MysterX improve his skills at spotting freebies and bargains, I imbed into one single giant webpage about 100 freebie announcements and have them scroll smoothly by at medium speed. At the end of the webpage is a quiz asking MysterX how many hot offers did he spot.

After several months of training, he has improved to the point where he spots 99.989% of all the offers posted, a percentage that is purely better than Ivory. That is one explanation as to how he is able to find and post all of the freebie offers in the OTHER BARGAINS forum.
Old 10-08-01, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can see how this could be useful... but mine was on by default, which led to much frustration, especially since I use a scroll wheel and quite liberally, at that. hehe. So when it would take ten seconds to scroll when i only turned the wheel for a half second... very annoying.