Reload this Page >

WindowsXP questions...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WindowsXP questions...

Old 10-08-01, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WindowsXP questions...

1) Can it be clean-installed, even the "upgrade versions" (if such are available?) Win98/ME/2000 could be I think as long as you "proved" you owned a copy of the previous OS.

2) Might there still be deals out there where you can get a free, full copy bundled with a piece of hardware like a hard-drive? That would totally kick ass, because I need a bigger HD and am seriously considering the XP migration.
Old 10-08-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The corp version can be installed via upgrade or clean install. I *highly* recommend a clean install. I upgraded a fairly new and clean install of win2k pro, and it sucked. Did a clean install and it was amazingly better. I would have to think the other version of Xp can be used as an upgrade or clean install if you have a older version.

Dave
Old 10-08-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dave99
The corp version can be installed via upgrade or clean install. I *highly* recommend a clean install. I upgraded a fairly new and clean install of win2k pro, and it sucked. Did a clean install and it was amazingly better. I would have to think the other version of Xp can be used as an upgrade or clean install if you have a older version.

Dave
No way I would ever install any OS unclean. I've done it plenty of times before so I know that much.

However I would not be getting the corp version. Can the home one be clean-installed?
Old 10-08-01, 06:30 PM

You should ALWAYS make a clean install of any Windows OS. But even if you have the "upgrade version" you can usually do a clean install (at least with previous Windows releases you could). What you have to do is when it asks for a "proof" of a previuos Windows installation, insert your previous Windows CD in your CD/DVD drive and it will check it, you then put back your "current" Windows CD in your drive and bingo! You can make a clean install with an upgrade CD totally legally without any hacks.
Old 10-08-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, I know that, I've done it myself, but can someone please confirm that you can do so with WinXP home version?
Old 10-08-01, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Jepthah
Yes, I know that, I've done it myself, but can someone please confirm that you can do so with WinXP home version?
Oops sorry, I read your post too quickly. (And I cannot confirm for XP unfortunately)
Old 10-12-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bumpity BUMP!

Bestow upon me thy benevolent wisdom!
Old 10-12-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, you can do that with Home Edition.
Old 10-13-01, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Win98

With Windows 98 Upgrade version I was able to install it on a clean system. It asked me for a Win95 CD during set up.

I assume WinXP is the same since it still needs all the files the full version does. They might have disabled it in the setup script though.