Redundant Cooling?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Redundant Cooling?

Old 10-07-01, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redundant Cooling?

Hey all, I was reading the AMD thread and came across this quote:
As for heat, heatsinks, fans, etc I personally prefer to have a LARGE heatsink and no fan on the processor itself, then at least two case fans. I NEVER turn computers off. Fans DIE and usually when there is no one around. If your cooling is not redundant, never leave a machine on 24/7.
Now, I do leave my computer on 24/7 - it's an AMD 1.2 GHz with tons of other crap in it that I would hate to have crash on me if the fan goes out.

The question is: What can I do for redundant cooling? Install more fans on the case of the computer to increase air flow inside? Would this help if my main fan on top of the heatsink gave out? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i use 3- 80 mm fans plus my power supply fan plus a card fan that has two small fans and sits in a pci slot.

of course i do have a cpu fan also

my case has room for one more 80 mm fan which i do not use.

if you have the room in your case and can get some cheaper fans why not. I overclock my cpu which makes it more important to keep things cooler
Old 10-08-01, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have an absolutely huge case - the biggest I could get, so I'm sure I have the room - I've just never added fans or done any case mods. Perhaps I'll have to stop by Frys and see what I'll need.

Is it relatively easy to install fans? What kinds of cables do I need from the power supply - the same that go to the hard drives and such?

Thanks much!
Old 10-08-01, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use an SVC GoldenGate with a YS Tech 8000 RPM fan on my overclocked cumine. It's certainly a loud fan (50dB) but keeps everything frosty. Also have a fan at the front bottom of the case pulling in air, and a matching fan at the top back blowing out.

If you are concerned about your HSF failing, I recommend you use Motherboard Monitor 5 to keep track of fan speed and core temperature. It can be configured to alert you if the RPMs fall below your limit or if temperature goes above it. It will also initiate a shutdown if you want it to, and will email you to tell you your home computer is going down. On top of that, MBM5 is free.

BTW: Anybody seen the video that Tom's Hardware did of CPUs completely frying themselves after removal of the HSF? The P4 throttled itself back to prevent overheating, the P3 (I believe) simply froze (which also prevented overheating), but the Athlons started roasting.
Old 10-08-01, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blake
I have an absolutely huge case - the biggest I could get, so I'm sure I have the room - I've just never added fans or done any case mods. Perhaps I'll have to stop by Frys and see what I'll need.

Is it relatively easy to install fans? What kinds of cables do I need from the power supply - the same that go to the hard drives and such?

Thanks much!
there are two types of fan power plugs- I would get the ones that use the same power hookups as the hard drives. you can plug then into the Motherboard also with a smaller plug this will allow you to monitor the speed of the fan. If you go with this type then make sure the power needs of the fan match the output of the plugs on the Motherboard or you can damage it.

80 mm fans are pretty standard sized to fit in the spots on most cases. they are very easy to install.

now the real decision do you blow in or out . I know you could ask Jules over in the Other forum however...

I think you should have a fairly balanced airflow so i have the front one blowing in and the rear blowing out. I played around and it seemed to work best for me. also for sure make the highest fan in your case an exhaust fan since heat rises

what case do you have?

Last edited by gcribbs; 10-08-01 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-08-01, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My case:

http://www.in-win.com/framecode/ino_q500.html
Old 10-08-01, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blake
My case:

http://www.in-win.com/framecode/ino_q500.html
wow that is one big case . Now i have case envy

Ok it looks like you have two spots in the rear where you can place fans. i would put an 80mm fan in the top spot above the power supply blowing out.
It looks like from the internal drawing that the front bottom has a spot for one also. For this one i would put a fan blowing in. It also appears like the power supply has two fans spots so you should have(i guess) one fans pulling air into the power supply from the case and the second fan blowing it out.

now the second rear fan spot is a toss up. it might be better to have it blowing in since it looks like the two fans above(with the additional power supply fan helping also) might be enough to pull out hot air. you can always try it both ways and use a program like motherboard monitor to test to see which is best. I bet it wil turn out to be best blowing in but who knows

if this does not get Jules into this forum nothing will
Old 10-08-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You might want to look at a Zalman 3100 heatsink.

As you can see, it's designed for maximum radiating surface area. I believe it comes with an 80mm fan that's supposed to blow directly on it.

If you have enough space on the back panel next to the CPU's, you could mount two 80mm fans to blow directly on it and test it with one of the fan's switched off.

It won't give you the kind of cooling the overclocking freaks like to boast about, but it should keep your CPU within the recommended temperature range. Plus, the two fans would give you the redundancy you're looking for.