Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Connecting two computers

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Connecting two computers

Old 10-07-01, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting two computers

I'm trying to connect two computers, a desktop and a laptop in order transfer over about 6+ gigs of stuff. What is the easiest wat to do this? Can i just connect them with ethernet wire or do I have to have a hub in order to do this? Thanks.
Old 10-07-01, 09:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't need a hub. Just a "crossover" cable hooked between both their LAN cards.
Old 10-07-01, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The "crossover" cable is the fastest way to do so and would be the easiest, but if both computers don't have network cards, you can also get a crossover USB cable that will work and if you don't have USB ports on both, you can do it the old fashioned way with a serial cable, but it'll take forever to transfer 6+ gigs over a serial cable (it takes a few minutes just to transfer an MP3 file of a couple megs in size).
Old 10-07-01, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I think parallel cables can be used to, and parallel ports are faster than serial if I remember correctly
would need a crossover connector for the parallel cable. dos had a standard program for direct cable connections

Originally posted by Blake
The "crossover" cable is the fastest way to do so and would be the easiest, but if both computers don't have network cards, you can also get a crossover USB cable that will work and if you don't have USB ports on both, you can do it the old fashioned way with a serial cable, but it'll take forever to transfer 6+ gigs over a serial cable (it takes a few minutes just to transfer an MP3 file of a couple megs in size).
Old 10-08-01, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

windows has direct cable connection support - and I've used a parallel cable to do so before... IIRC, you need a special type of Parallel cable. Anyway - crossover cable with the NICs is the best bet.
Old 10-08-01, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you have some of the newest motherboards, they have a built-in feature to let you transfer files between computers via USB without needing extra stuff like NIC cards, etcetera.
Old 10-08-01, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The advice given in this thread is good. The question seems to be asked every month. A search on dvdTalk turns up any number of threads, but one recent one is:

*url removed*

You may find the thread by using dvdTalk's SEARCH feature for a keyword such as "usb-to-usb". There are better keywords to search for, but that somewhat unique keyword is one that I used in a post (to make it easier for me to find my own prior posts).