Reload this Page >

CD-R playing question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

CD-R playing question

Old 10-07-01, 01:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD-R playing question

Ok. If I download an AVI or MPEG video files and burn them on a CD-R, will it play in my DVD player? My DVD player can play VCD and MP3 also. Thanks
Old 10-07-01, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes and No

Most of the movies that you download for "backup" purposes are encoded using some form of a divx codec of sorts and therefore these will not play unless you happen to have an older divx player, now if you convert this file so it can be played by using a program called flask it can be done

more info can be found at www.divx-digest.com and www.mydivx.com
Old 10-08-01, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You must burn it as a VCD. I use Nero 5.5.x.x all the time to make VCDs and SVCDs. I believe the latest versions come with an onboard mpeg converter which will convert to the VCD spec. I've burned out of spec VCDs before, and ended up with mixed results on my DVD player.

I believe that Adaptec (Roxio) Easy CD Creator will also burn VCD spec.
Old 10-08-01, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by qpid
Most of the movies that you download for "backup" purposes are encoded using some form of a divx codec of sorts and therefore these will not play unless you happen to have an older divx player, now if you convert this file so it can be played by using a program called flask it can be done
This is mostly right, but something that needs to be mentioned is that the new "DiVX ;-)" codec is NOT related in any way to the older Divx format that was being pushed by Future Shop or wherever.

If you burn a downloaded file encoded with the DiVX ;-) codec (note that the maker of the current DiVX codec has stated that the proper name is "DiVX ;-)" with the smily face), you will not be able to play it on any current (or past) set-top player. DiVX ;-) is entirely for PC only.