Reload this Page >

Athlon XP- Now with Quantispeed!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-06-01, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing a lot of you have already heard about it, but I figured I may as well get a jump on Monday's launch for AMD's new Athlon XP processors.

They appear to be exactly identical to the current Athlon MPs, except not validated for multiprocessing systems. And as rumored, AMD will indeed be naming them by model number rather than clock rate. Somehow the term "Quantispeed" figures into it, though I'm not exactly sure how.

In any event, here's the speeds the CPU's will debut at:

Athlon XP 1800 - 1.53 GHz
Athlon XP 1700 - 1.47 GHz
Athlon XP 1600 - 1.40 GHz
Athlon XP 1500 - 1.33 GHz

I guess it's fair to call these PR ratings since it's pretty obvious that AMD hopes people will equate the performance of the CPU with its model number rather than its actual clock speed.

To their credit, if they're basing their numbers on the P4 using applications available today, they're being quite conservative with the ratings. In my mind, at least, they could very reasonably equate the 1.53 GHz Athlon XP to a 2 GHz P4.

In any event, that's all marketing crap. For the majority of currently available applications, the Athlon XP 1800 will likely prove to be the fastest x86 processor available.

I've been way overdue for a major upgrade to my desktop. If the Athlon XP's prove to work well in the Tyan Tiger dual boards, I might have to jump on that. And if I can actually find an x15-36lp to go with the 39160 controller I have on the way from Dell, I should have a pretty kick-ass system.
Old 10-07-01, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're charging more for these than Intel is for the P4's though. If AMD hopes to sell enough they need to undercut Intel.
Old 10-07-01, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure if people would realize how great these chips are, they'd have no problem spending a few extra dollars.
(This is assuming these continue the AMD reputation)
Old 10-07-01, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Insofar as it doesn't kill their continued success, I hope this new speed rating thing flops. I've loved the fact that AMD has had to price their Tbirds at below the P4 of equivalent clock speed. It made those 1.3 and 1.4 GHz units such an incredible bargain.

Right now on pricewatch, a few vendors have the Athlon XP 1.53 at $233+. I think I saw some rumors that AMD's official price list had it at $210 in quantity. So, I think for a few days yet, we'll see the price sort of high as vendors gouge the early adopters.