Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

record radio on PC?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

record radio on PC?

Old 10-06-01, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
record radio on PC?

I was tryign to get some feedback in another forum, but nothing... So I'll try here.

There are alot of mixes and stuff that on the radio you just can't buy nor download in WAV/MP3 format. Which brings me to the very essence of recording your own stuff so you can listen to what you like. Can hook up the "out" from my stereo and hook it up to the "in" in my computer's sound card and record it that way? Will this work? Anyone give it a try? What would I use to record it or how would I record it? Use Windows Sound Recorder in WAV format? Then I could burn it to CD or convert to MP3? My wife loves all that DJ edit/mix music to jog/workout. This could definitely get me some brownie points, since she despises my computer...
Old 10-06-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use a program called Replay Radio that works this way. I have a lot of National Pubic Radio and BBC programs that I like to listen to. I schedule them and Replay Radio records the internet stream and saves it as a MP3.

However, I can also hook up an outside source to the in port on my sound card and record regual Radio programs, audio books, or whatever as MP3s.

I'm not saying you need to buy Replay Radio for what you need, I just know that what your suggesting will work.

Use Windows Sound Recorder to record the file and then convert the wav to an MP3 or just make an audio CD out of it. That should work fine.
Old 10-06-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Piece of cake, if you've got a line-in on your soundcard. I use Music Match, set the recorder source as line-in, and the recorder quality to whatever I need (mp3 or wav). Best of all, it's a free download.
Old 10-06-01, 06:39 PM

thanks fellas, i'll try it tonight on a good Saturday night mix! SCHWEET!
Old 10-08-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use Total Recorder. I think it's great because it lets you record whatever the soundcard is playing presently. It does not go through the speakers or anything, just straight from the incoming stream to the total recorder. Plus it saves the files in MP3 format and you can set the bitrate/quality to as high or low as you want. I leave it on overnight for the good late night mixes.
Old 10-09-01, 06:53 PM
Cool New Member

I just run a cable from my headphone jack on my receiver to the line in on my soundcard (SoundBlaster Live!) and then open the wave studio that was included in the software. It took a bit to get settings just right. The only thing I don't like doing it this way is I have to run a short test recording and then adjust the receiver volume. It's good if your source is low volume, because you can make it louder.