Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

PC DVD ROM versus DVD + iScan line doubler progressive scan

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-06-01, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If one plays a DVD from a PC DVD ROM set to 800x600 at 75Hz, does it mean that one is getting 600p at 75Hz.

If one sets the PC display to 1600x1200, does this mean the one is now getting 1200p (progressive scan at 1200 horizontal lines ?

Does this mean that the quality of the movie quality is better at 1200p, assuming all else is the same ?

Has the refresh rate any meaning when the output goes to a LCD or Plasma screen ? I was told that refresh rates are only applicable to CRT based TVs or monitors.

Can someone help clarify ?
Old 10-06-01, 01:47 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll do what I can.

If one plays a DVD from a PC DVD ROM set to 800x600 at 75Hz, does it mean that one is getting 600p at 75Hz.
Yes, but the DVD's resolution is less than that of course, so you're not using all that resolution.

If one sets the PC display to 1600x1200, does this mean the one is now getting 1200p (progressive scan at 1200 horizontal lines ?
Yes.

Does this mean that the quality of the movie quality is better at 1200p, assuming all else is the same ?
No, you can't improve the quality of the DVD beyond what it was recorded at which is less than 540p. Different video scalings may find a sweet spot for your system though. I use several different resolutions on my RPTV depending on the DVD, generally from 480p to 960p.

Has the refresh rate any meaning when the output goes to a LCD or Plasma screen ? I was told that refresh rates are only applicable to CRT based TVs or monitors.
I agree with what you were told. Refresh rates are higher than 60Hz for CRTs because of flicker at lower rates. This is not a problem with LCD or plasma (I believe). The persistence of their display media is good and bad. 60Hz shows no flicker as it would on a CRT, but fast-moving objects may not be displayed as cleanly as on a tube.
Old 10-06-01, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your explanation.

I gather from this that for a PC DVD ROM to LCD or plasma display

- it is best to work with 480-960p and a refresh rate of 60-100Hz.

- that while the video graphic card can drive at these values, the LCD or plasma must be able to response/work at these values.

However, if most DVD movies are recorded at 540p, then is there any point varying the progressive scan to 960p ?

Can you record at higher than these values ? I presume this can be done as it is a matter of total data transfer speed on a Camcorder (recorder) and the player (PC+DVD ROM) + display (plasma) ?

How expensive are these Video scalers ?