Reload this Page >

question about win2k & outlook express

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-06-01, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a question about outlook express. is there any way i can share the same mailboxes with three different computers? i have all of them on win2k and outlook express 6(?). i tried to switch the storage folder over to the folder i'm using in another computer but it wouldn't let me. am i doing it wrong?

thanks
Old 10-06-01, 12:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Let me see if I understand right. You have three computers and each is running Win2k and OE. And, you want all of them to access the same mail folders. Is that right? Are these systems on a LAN or are you talking about home/work/somewhere else? Are you wanting all three systems to be able to have the mail folders open at the same time?
Old 10-06-01, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dead on -- no pun intended.

these computers are on a LAN @ home. i did not plan on having all three accessing at one time, but i can imagine how that might cause some complications. is there an easy way around it?
Old 10-06-01, 10:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by quietsoul
dead on -- no pun intended.

these computers are on a LAN @ home. i did not plan on having all three accessing at one time, but i can imagine how that might cause some complications. is there an easy way around it?

Did you try moving the OE user folder to a shared location, mapping drives from each system to that share, then changing the OE settings to use that location for mail?

The default location is under \Documents & Settings\userid\local settings\application data\identities\{some SID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
Old 10-06-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the suggestion, dead. but no luck with mapping the drive -- it seems like OE is marking the files so other copies of OE can't use it. that's the only thing i can think of. OE has no problem assigning the mailbox storage to a drive on the network but it won't assign it if it's already assigned by OE on another computer.

any other suggestions? if not, thanks for all your help -- wish i could've set it up. would be great to be able to check my mail from any floor of my house.

thanks,

qs
Old 10-06-01, 11:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by quietsoul
thanks for the suggestion, dead. but no luck with mapping the drive

That's really strange. I just tried the same thing here and got the same result... it won't let the store reside on a network drive.

It would be more effort, but there are still a couple of things I can think of right off that you could try.

1) Use the import function everytime you check mail on a system to synchronize the systems. (Sounds like too much effort to me though.)

2) Install a program like VNC which allows to you remotely control the desktop of another system. This would allow you to read the mail remotely and everything would stay stored on the "central" system.
Old 10-06-01, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

or

3) Install the full blown edition of outlook and share out the PST

Old 10-07-01, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah, outlook. i was hoping i wouldn't have to use outlook -- it's just too full-featured for someone like me. i'm only interested in checking email. plus, i just don't want to take the time to install outlook.

i might try dead's #2 suggestion or maybe i'll switch to outlook. thanks again.