Reload this Page >

How often do you Defragment or clean Disk Space

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-05-01, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. As I've posted, I got a brand-new laptop, and I just want to know the best way to optimize things.

TIA!
Old 10-05-01, 09:10 AM

I do it once a month using norton.
Old 10-05-01, 09:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

Right up there with never. I'm almost as likely to reformat the drive and install things from scratch as I am to defragment. Ok, maybe I'm not quite that bad... but seriously, not very often. It really depends on if I feel I have a reason to do so.

Hmmm... lazy much?
Old 10-05-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What would be a good reason?
Old 10-05-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

About once a month. Thing is I have no idea why it's a good thing to do. A few of my buddies suggested I run the program every once in a while, so I've been doing it for about a year now.
Old 10-05-01, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any other ways to optimize performance? (w/o buying something)
Old 10-05-01, 11:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Toad
What would be a good reason?

If you tend to install/uninstall/install/uninstall software on a regualar basis, then things tend to get worse faster. If you install, defrag, and then don't make many changes, you tend to not need to defrag as often.
Old 10-05-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dead has it right on ...

Defragging makes things faster because your comp will then be able to access data and pointers that are being held together in a common logical area rather than being scattered all over the hard drive. By doing this it should reduce seek times and make a very real improvement to your comp's performance.

This is especially true when you install, uninstall programs like games (which can be huge) and moving around and deleting mp3's and the like. You can fragment your comp very quickly this way. Defragging is like cleaning up your room so that everything is tidy and grouped together so you don't waste time looking around for a particular t-shirt that happens to be hidden away in the ginch drawer.

As a matter of habit I defrag almost every day or two. Not that I really need it.

One note: if you have a burner without burn-proof technology then you should always defrag your comp before burning anything. This will help further insure that your comp is tip top before you burn and lessen the likelyhood of buffer underrun errors.

Some defrag progs also optimize your comp's swap file making it more effective. This is a good thing. Norton Speedisk and my favorite, Voptme does this.
Old 10-06-01, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do it once every couple of weeks or so. More often when I'm installing or removing programs, or cleaning up the Internet cache.

I use Norton Speed Disk, and they recommend doing it when the defragmentation of the hard drive is at 95%.