Reload this Page >

new to AMD... need help.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

new to AMD... need help.

Old 10-03-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to AMD... need help.

well after a week of waiting, UPS will finally deliver my barebones AMD 1.0ghz to my door. i've never worked with an AMD and was hoping some of you tech guys could give me some pointers.

i understand that overheating is an issue and powers supply is an issue. is there anything else? i also remember reading that you had to do something different when installing components to the MB -- like the AMD MBs carry a charge after you turn off the computer and unplug it. can anyone elaborate?

i'm going to add a new geforce2 card, an old sound card, LAN, hard drive, and CD-RW to the computer and i don't want to burn anything out before i get it running.

thanks guys.

qs
Old 10-03-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just make sure your HS/Fan are clamped down and plugged in before firing it up. Don't even power it up for a quick check to make sure it's getting power. As for the boards holding a charge. Most ATX boards are going to have a residual charge left in them after being shut down. By unplugging the computer and depressing the power button a few times you can get rid of that usually. Otherwise you may get a little jolt from one of the MB slots. Building an Athlon system is really no different than the way you should build any other system.
Old 10-04-01, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that generally things are the same with the AMD's and Intel MB as far as assembling them. The real difference is in the installation of the CPU.

Be careful.

Make sure you are careful when installing the heatsink/Fan. the cpu should be installed first then the fan/heatsink next. place the HS/Fan on the CPU( use Artic silver type conductor unless you are using the thermal pad coming with the HS) remove the plastic covering the thermal pad if you use the thermal pad before placing it on the CPU by the way .

place the HS connector slots onto the socket connector the other side has the clip which you push down into place afterward. use a slot style screw driver to push the clip down and lock it into place. only use just enough force to get the clip down to the slot and into place. too much force can crack the CPU. Before using the screw driver to push the clip down make sure the other side fits in the slots in the socket on the MB and the HS is centered on the CPU.

If you do a search online I am sure someone has a step by step with pictures.

Good luck.

I hope my explanation made sense. if not ignore me.

Last edited by gcribbs; 10-04-01 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-04-01, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I found the brand of heatsink to be important - of the three I've come across, one was a real bitch to install and use. My favourite one was shaped like a turbine, very easy to install, and does a good job of cooling.

RD
Old 10-04-01, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use an AMD 1 GHz 266 Athlon CPU and the heatsink is a no brand.A japanese make and its all copper based, its heavy and the fan spins very fast and the maker said it can cool up to 2Ghz, then I grabbed it.Was suprised because the fan was very quiet and the temp never rises even I just let it on the whole day! But I did use Artic Silver 2,and the heatsink fit nicely on the CPU without a lot of pressure and it been working very nice so far