Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Painting MS Keyboard

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Painting MS Keyboard

Old 10-03-01, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting MS Keyboard

I know this may sound foolish, but I kinda want to get into modding and I thought I would start with something small, my keyboard. I'm tired of this boring beige color that discolors after years of use (its one of the original MS Ergonomic Keyboards) and I wanted to spray paint it some color. Maybe silver and black, I dont know. What I was wondering is have any of you done this or know someone who has? How did they do it? Can I just spray over the keys without takin the board out or anything and it will still work fine? I wanna know the best way about doing this. I dont care if the key decals get covered, I know all the keys so its no big deal. Any help would be great, thanks...
Old 10-03-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, if a black Logitech keyboard isn't your style, why not one of the newer stylish Microsoft "office XP" keyboards coming out? It even has a rolling scrollbar.

If your paint isn't baked on (not viable with a plastic keyboard) or cured by ultraviolet, it will be susceptible to the skin oils of your fingers. This skin oil will degrade the paint over time and make it wear off even faster.

Your best bet at coloured keyboards is to buy any one of the keyboards you deem attractive which have standardized keycaps. You can then substitute coloured keycaps as you please.

I had looked into getting custom case work done at an automotive shop, but it is just too darn expensive. Though it is tempting to create a three colour template of Belldandy for use on the case. The auto shop is able to do blended gradations of colour so there is a good chance of a more "photo" style image rather than a "cartoony" image where colours are sharply separated from each other. Because it would be done with automotive paint and cured in a UV booth with clearcoat available, the finish would be pretty durable (and gasoline resistant not that I want to have the hottest looking PC by setting it on fire with gasoline).
Old 10-03-01, 04:38 PM

Re: Painting MS Keyboard

No you can't. You have to take it apart or the keys will get gummed up. The MS keyboard come apart pretty easy so it shouldn't be much hassle. Then spray the shell with what ever color you want (plus some kind of sealer to keep it from rubbing off)..

Originally posted by kni2000
I know this may sound foolish, but I kinda want to get into modding and I thought I would start with something small, my keyboard. I'm tired of this boring beige color that discolors after years of use (its one of the original MS Ergonomic Keyboards) and I wanted to spray paint it some color. Maybe silver and black, I dont know. What I was wondering is have any of you done this or know someone who has? How did they do it? Can I just spray over the keys without takin the board out or anything and it will still work fine? I wanna know the best way about doing this. I dont care if the key decals get covered, I know all the keys so its no big deal. Any help would be great, thanks...