Reload this Page >

Router questions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Router questions

Old 10-02-01, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Router questions

This is what I want to do. I want to be able to network my systems behind the router to serve as a hardware firewall. However, I still would like to be able to run an FTP server is possible...or at least establish a way that I could remotely get in and save files to my PC or get files off of it. Is it possible or am I just wanting to have the cake and eat it too?
Old 10-02-01, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Router questions

You can do that, however you do give up a bit of security, as your ip will now respond to port scans where if you didn't run any servers it would just look like it wasn't there. I have an ftp and web server running on mine with no problem.

Dave
Originally posted by Nefarious
This is what I want to do. I want to be able to network my systems behind the router to serve as a hardware firewall. However, I still would like to be able to run an FTP server is possible...or at least establish a way that I could remotely get in and save files to my PC or get files off of it. Is it possible or am I just wanting to have the cake and eat it too?
Old 10-02-01, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So could i set the ftp port up on port 80 (that's the standard internet port, correct?) and essentially still only have that port open?

Is it a great risk?
Old 10-02-01, 06:51 PM

I believe a lot of isp's now block 80 due to code red. Plus they typically scan the know ports like 80 looking for servers if they prohibit servers. I do not if they all do that, but @home definitely does.
Old 10-02-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm on a University's connection.

Is there a better solution? Should I just stick with a software firewall? Router just seems a better option since I have multiple PCs.
Old 10-02-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nefarious

Are you going to purchase a full blown router such as a Cisco or are you looking at a personal cable/DSL router type device (like SMC or Linksys)?

If a personal device like linksys or SMC, you can pipe through certain ports to any machine on the private IP subnet. FTP standard is PORT 21, use to be 20 or 21, but 21 became more widely used. You are only limited to your FTP server software as to what port you can run.

If you do this, security for the port used to FTP, will be 100% done on the FTP software. It does leave an extra hole, but for the most part is not a big deal. All other ports will be guarded by the hardware router using NAT.

For $60 or so you can get the 4 port SMC barracade, it will do what are looking to do (if you need more ports, attach a hub via crossover cable).

If you have a spare $1600 laying around, I highly recommend a Cisco PIX
Old 10-02-01, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks all for the info. It's for home use so the four port would do nice. I already have a small 5 port hub if I ever needed more connections also.

Sounds like I can run my Serv-U ftp software and then configure the router to allow port 21. Then it's up to my ftp software to block or deny access based on the accounts I create.

That's what I need.

thanks again.
Old 10-02-01, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What model # were you referring to 4KRG? Thanks...
Old 10-02-01, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

7004ABR

http://www.techbargains.com/comparis...ubcat_id=4#195
Old 10-02-01, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have the older version of that unit. It works fine for what you want, and is a piece of cake to setup.

Dave
Originally posted by 4KRG
7004ABR

http://www.techbargains.com/comparis...ubcat_id=4#195
Old 10-02-01, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ordered the SMC from Amazon. Thanks for the info. guys.
Old 10-02-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Make sure when you get it you get the most current firmware from SMC. they seem to update it every few weeks. It's nice, they have added quite a few new features with the updates since I got mine a while back.

Dave
Originally posted by Nefarious
Ordered the SMC from Amazon. Thanks for the info. guys.