Reload this Page >

MAC CD-Burner Software: Advice needed

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-02-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i work in a lab with some damn smart people. but when it comes to computers, they are all clueless. i just spent 30 minutes explaining how to burn a CD and more importantly how to organize the data to make the best use of a CD. (i've checked through some of the past burns and some people are burning just 30MB(!!!) of data). i have a feeling i will be repeating myself over and over again.

bottom line: i need to know if there's a better, easier to use burn software out there for the mac. i am using toast right now -- and being a nero user, i think toast sucks. to make matters worse, the cd burner does not have burn-proof abilities so i suggested running a simulation before making the final burn.

so, i am looking for software that moves from a simulation to the real burn without input from the user (pushing the CD back in, having to choose the settings again, etc). toast does not do this -- in fact it does quite the opposite. it ejects the CD (after the simulation), displays the message that the CD is done, and then requires you to select the burn speed and de-select simulation mode before it will burn the real thing. i know it's not difficult to do this, but i want to make it as simple as possible for these people.

also, i don't know if there is such a feature, but most of these people have 700MB+ data to burn. is there software that will automatically span the data across several discs? this would be great as i don't think they understand how to organize the data in folders to accomplish this task.

does this software exists? thanks. qs
Old 10-02-01, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what version of toast are you using? Toast 5.0 is much improved over earlier versions. Toast is really the only viable option other than Apple's Disc Burner/iTunes combo for the Mac. In terms of your problem regarding simulation mode, Simulation mode isn't needed every time. I run it on a new setup once and if it burns correctly I leave it off. What type of burner is it(IDE, USB, Firewire, SCSI?) Assuming it's not a usb burner, as long as you don't have other apps running just let it burn without doing simulation mode. Also you may try trashing the Toast Preferences file in /System Folder/Preferences as it may not be saving your settings properly. It will be recreated upon launching toast.
Old 10-03-01, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, the simulation mode is not that big a deal. most times i don't even bother to run a simulation and i told them to do likewise. it would just be a nice bonus.

the biggest concern for me is spanning large amounts of data across several disks. whenever i did data backups for them, i organized the folders to maximize the use of a cd. most of them don't have the patience to do so and as a result some of these people are using four or five CDs just to burn 800MB worth of data. it's a complete waste.

oh, the burner is a SCSI LaCie 12x10x32x without burn-proof. i'll look for an update to toast. i had a feeling toast was all that was out there -- sucks. i wonder how mac users put up with software that doesn't give the user any sort of control whatsoever.

thanks.
Old 10-03-01, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok I take that back. It sounds like you're doing backups every so often. If so look into Retrospect by Dantz Inc. It's excellent backup software(much better for backing up large data amounts).