Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Scanner Set-Up Help!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Scanner Set-Up Help!!

Old 10-02-01, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scanner Set-Up Help!!

I'm trying to install a Canon "CanoScan N640P" scanner on my parents computer. (running Windows 98). After I've connected it and installed all the software, I try to do a test and I get the following error messages--

1) in a box with the header CanoCraft CS-P 3.8

"Other error.
Error Code: 0x10ff0800"

when I press okay to get rid of that box, the following pops up--

2) in a box with the header Canon ScanGear Toolbox CS

"Unable to open TWAIN source
Please check connection then re-start Toolbox"

Can anybody help me out? Please!!
Old 10-02-01, 01:26 PM

Was there a PC cam connected/installed on the computer at one time or currently? I had this problem with my old Connectix QuickCam and my HP 4300 ScanJet. After contacting HP, they said it was the cam. I contacted Logitech (no longer Connectix) and they said they have heard compliants, but would not state whether it was a valid issue - they simply gave me a new set of cam drivers (that didn't work). I uninstalled the cam, and the scanner worked fine. I have since purchased an Intel cam, and no problems at all.

If you didn't have a cam, do you have something else on the PC that might access the TWAIN driver? That sounds to be the root of your problem.
Old 10-02-01, 06:48 PM

Nope, the only thing they have connected to the computer is a printer. COuld that be causing the problem?
Old 10-03-01, 04:45 PM

Re: Scanner Set-Up Help!!

Sounds like the driver didnt install right. You may want to try reinstalling it. You should see a scanner in the System isection of control panel.. If you do see one, you may have to remove it and let windows rediscover it and then install the driver..

Originally posted by jhunt
I'm trying to install a Canon "CanoScan N640P" scanner on my parents computer. (running Windows 98). After I've connected it and installed all the software, I try to do a test and I get the following error messages--

1) in a box with the header CanoCraft CS-P 3.8

"Other error.
Error Code: 0x10ff0800"

when I press okay to get rid of that box, the following pops up--

2) in a box with the header Canon ScanGear Toolbox CS

"Unable to open TWAIN source
Please check connection then re-start Toolbox"

Can anybody help me out? Please!!
Old 10-03-01, 06:22 PM

Can you explain what you mean by "let Windows rediscover it"? I'm not sure I know what that means. Thanks!
Old 10-03-01, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by jhunt
Can you explain what you mean by "let Windows rediscover it"? I'm not sure I know what that means. Thanks!
Once a device is removed (say your scanner is under the Other section in the system section and you delete it), when you reboot windows it should say "new hardware found" and try to find a driver, if none is found it should ask where to find it (ie. your cd)..

Any scanner i've installed (many of them) always asked this at one point..