Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

One is not allowed to install Microsoft Office 2000 on more than one computer?!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-01-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister installed it on her laptop, and then on our home computer. Those both seem fine. But now I've installed it on my computer at school, and in the Registration Process, it says it's already been registered. I only have 48 more times for it to work. What am I to do?

SURELY, Microsoft doesn't expect me to pay however many hundreds of dollars on a disc that i already have?

Any solutions/help?
Old 10-01-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well...just don't register yours silly. Install it and choose to not register at this time. The registration process is connecting to their database and seeing that copy is already in use.

You'll probably have to un-install and then re-install.

Edit to add: Yes they do expect you to pay hundreds of dollars per machine. It's a per machine license.
Old 10-01-01, 11:35 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: One is not allowed to install Microsoft Office 2000 on more than one computer?!

Originally posted by LBPound23
My sister installed it on her laptop, and then on our home computer. Those both seem fine. But now I've installed it on my computer at school, and in the Registration Process, it says it's already been registered. I only have 48 more times for it to work. What am I to do?

SURELY, Microsoft doesn't expect me to pay however many hundreds of dollars on a disc that i already have?

Any solutions/help?

Yup, they expect you to pay. Here are parts of an article about just this.

May 2000

Windows - Past Articles
I Am A Criminal

By Jeff Bertolucci

When was the last time you read the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) before installing a software program? Never? Perhaps you're not even sure what it is. Well, the EULA is that fine-printed jumble of legalese--often several thousand incomprehensible words--that appears on screen just as you're about to install a new program to your hard drive. Most of us--let's say 99.999 percent of us--ignore the EULA, click the I Agree button at the bottom of the screen, and get on with the installation.

I ignore the EULA because I'm not a software pirate. I don't burn bootleg Office CDs and hawk 'em at swap meets. I don't loan my copy of Windows 98 to friends and family. And yet, according to Microsoft's EULA for Office 2000, I'm a lawbreaker. You see, I run my copy of Office 2000 on two home PCs, but the EULA only permits me to run Office on a single desktop and a portable. I'm a thief, according to Microsoft, one of a growing legion of shifty-eyed deadbeats responsible for bilking Redmond out of billions.

And the empire is striking back. By the time you read this, retail copies of Office 2000 will include the Office Registration Wizard, an antipiracy feature designed to make end-users heed the letter of the EULA law. If you buy a copy of Office 2000 that includes Service Release 1 (SR1) bug fixes and patches, you'll encounter the Registration Wizard, an automated deadbeat detector that makes you register with The Man. You can run Office 50 times before registering (a pop-up dialog nags you until you sign up). On the 51st try, you're toast--until you register.

Two Strikes and You're Out

Once you've registered Office 2000 with Microsoft, you're granted one additional software installation. Here's where Redmond lets us pirates slide. Technically, your second Office install must be on a portable, but the Registration Wizard doesn't distinguish between desktops and notebooks. So if you load Office on two home desktops, or on a work and a home system, that's OK. But try for a third install, and you're slapped like a bad monkey.

http://www.computeruser.com/articles...1,0501,00.html
Old 10-01-01, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So in essence, I'll have to hunt down someone who's only used one computer so far or I'll have to uninstall and reinstall office every 50 uses?
Old 10-01-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not even sure of installing /uninstalling would be enough. MS probably leaves some registry tag in place to know. You are probably out of luck on this particular approach.

Dave
So in essence, I'll have to hunt down someone who's only used one computer so far or I'll have to uninstall and reinstall office every 50 uses?
Old 10-01-01, 02:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

I can't say for certain, but I would think that Dave99 would be correct. I know that other, smaller, companies do just what he described.

You mentioned that you were a student. Have you checked with your school to see if they participate in the Microsoft Campus Program? If they do, then you may be able to obtain legal copies for a very low cost.
Old 10-01-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey LBPound23,

What OS are you running at home? What OS are you running at school?

What version of Office? Retail? Single-User? Volume?
Old 10-01-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by candyrocket786
Hey LBPound23,

What OS are you running at home? What OS are you running at school?

What version of Office? Retail? Single-User? Volume?
At home: Windows 98 SE
Here at school: Windows ME
On my sister's laptop, I believe it's Windows 2000 or Windows ME

The Office 2000 Professional - Academic Edition it says.
Old 10-01-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems ridiculous how they can do this. What if you wiped your hard-drive and had to reinstall 3 or four times? I guess you'd have to call and have an arguement with them?

No way to cancel through the registration at all?

Last edited by Nefarious; 10-01-01 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-01-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When u installed Office on your system, did it give u a confirmation #. What about your sister's laptop?

Another question.....Why are you worried about installing it on a "school" computer. Wouldn't be their (the school) job to handle that?

Also, you can't install/uninstall office to bypass the Registration screen. I believe something is "planted" in the Registry upon installing Office.
Old 10-01-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's somehow having to connect with homebase, yeah? I mean, if you don't have an internet connection...surely there is a way to get registered still? Or is that now a Microsoft requirement...must have internet connection so you can register?
Old 10-01-01, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can register by internet, phone, fax and i believe mail. There really is no "legal" way around it.

It's like your trying get the system a SSN# so it can be registered with the gover...I mean, Microsoft.

I really hate MICROSOFT. THEY ARE THE DEVIL and the man is the Anti-Christ. It seems if you need something to run on your PC, it requires something from Microsoft. Eventually, they will be running the country(if not already). You'll need Windows to start your car, watch tv, buy groceries etc.

I hate the fact that we as a society have become DEPENDENT upon this organization and there products.

Where is our Savior????
Old 10-01-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find this behavior really insidious. Most people don't think of themselves as "pirates" when they put thier latest copy of Windows or Office on all the computers they own. Granted, each computer is supposed to have it's own copy -- but has it ever mattered in the past? Well, now it does. Wait until you get Windows XP, it only lets you install it ONCE. That's right, ONCE. Want to use it on two computers? Better buy two copies. There's also been reports of people having their Office or Windows disabled because they changed a piece of hardware and the software thought it was in a different computer.

However, if you really are so serious about installing it on a second or third computer, you can call Microsoft and they will give you a new auth code if you tell them that you've upgraded your computer and now can't install. They don't actually verify if that's true or you're a pirate -- yet.
Old 10-01-01, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's why I only use the corp version of windows and office. This whole process is entirely to much of a pain in the ass.

Dave
Originally posted by einTier
I find this behavior really insidious. Most people don't think of themselves as "pirates" when they put thier latest copy of Windows or Office on all the computers they own. Granted, each computer is supposed to have it's own copy -- but has it ever mattered in the past? Well, now it does. Wait until you get Windows XP, it only lets you install it ONCE. That's right, ONCE. Want to use it on two computers? Better buy two copies. There's also been reports of people having their Office or Windows disabled because they changed a piece of hardware and the software thought it was in a different computer.

However, if you really are so serious about installing it on a second or third computer, you can call Microsoft and they will give you a new auth code if you tell them that you've upgraded your computer and now can't install. They don't actually verify if that's true or you're a pirate -- yet.
Old 10-02-01, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by candyrocket786
When u installed Office on your system, did it give u a confirmation #. What about your sister's laptop?

Another question.....Why are you worried about installing it on a "school" computer. Wouldn't be their (the school) job to handle that?

Also, you can't install/uninstall office to bypass the Registration screen. I believe something is "planted" in the Registry upon installing Office.
When I said school computer, I meant my computer with me at college.

In any event, I did manage to borrow a "friend's" (quotes indicating not a true friend, but an actual person nevertheless) Office XP disc, and that worked just fine. He'll never be able to use the disc to install on another computer....but I had to suffer listening to him talk for about an hour...so that's the tradeoff.

I think it's a ridiculous practice that Microsoft is taking. 2 computers? Practically everyone has 2 computers...if not more at this time. And they wonder why people bootleg software...
Old 10-02-01, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

thats why Im glad my copies are corporate editions

but yes.. when you pay for a copy of windows/office.. it is expected that you are only going to be putting that copy on one computer, since you only paid for one license.. now that they are actually able to govern this somewhat, people are going to get annoyed that they have to play by the rules.
Old 10-02-01, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or they are going to find usenet much more useful than before.

Dave
Originally posted by twikoff
now that they are actually able to govern this somewhat, people are going to get annoyed that they have to play by the rules.