Reload this Page >

AARRRGGHH!! Monitor induced ulcer!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-01-01, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My damn_monitor insists on shutting itself off. When I hit the power button on the monitor, it tells me that is "in power save mode - activate with pc". Well, I can't figure out how to do that, so I was forced to ctrl alt del and lost some data. This has happened 3 times in the last 1/2 hour, luckily I have TV out or I'm not sure I'd be typing this.

I reinstalled win98se last week - have a dell p3 with a dell trinitron monitor.

2 questions:

How do I get out of power save mode/activate the monitor with the pc?

Is my monitor on its last legs or is this more likely a software/driver problem?
Old 10-01-01, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, the tv out is not immune to this problem either, apparently. It seems to freak out while I am browsing DVDtalk with IE5.0. Any suggestions? (other than stop browsing dvdtalk)
Old 10-01-01, 02:16 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stop using IE5.0?
Old 10-01-01, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
Stop using IE5.0?
That's what I've done for now - using opera 5, without problems so far. I also just discovered autorecovery for Word, and it had my complete document, thank goodness.

Anyhow, X, I'm still curious - is this just some problem with software?
Old 10-01-01, 02:50 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't understand what the "freak out" problem with your TV is, but you could try a few things with the power savings stuff.

Several things can be turning off your monitor. The most likely are the BIOS power savings settings, or the Windows power savings settings found in the control panel. I would first look at the power options settings in the control panel and see if it is set to turn off your monitor after some amount of time. Tell it not to do that and see what happens.

If you still have the problem, get into your BIOS and check out the power savings settings there. It's possible that you have the monitor set to go off, but you haven't set the keyboard or mouse to wake it back up. Try turning off all power savings there and see what happens. If that fixes it you might want to turn on the monitor-off setting in the control panel again and see if it works the way you want.
Old 10-01-01, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

By freak out, I meant that the TV lost the signal at the same time the monitor shut down.

The power management settings in windows are always on/ never turn off monitor. I'll check on the BIOS settings in a bit.