Reload this Page >

I need to find new drivers for my soundcard...Please help

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-30-01, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I'm trying to find out if I need new drivers for my soundcard because whenever I play the game MAX PAYNE, my computer randomly freezes at times when Max is shooting. When I consulted the tech support for the game, it gave me a bunch of possible problems with my setup, and most of them have to do with my soundcard (which makes sense because it only freezes during gun fights, when there's lots of explosive sounds).

I right clicked on My Computer and went to device manager and sound to check on my soundcard. The driver is from 8/01/00 (Crystal WDM Audio Codec) and when I do update driver it says that I have the lastest version. However that only searches my computer for the newest driver, right? So I don't know if I really do have the newest one, or if there's a newer version available. Is there a way on my computer that I will be able to see the exact model of the soundcard that I have?

Basically what I need to know is if there are new driver files for my Crystal WDM audio codec soundcard and of course, what model my soundcard is.

Thanks in advance in helping me with my problems.
Old 10-01-01, 12:14 AM

One way to see is to go into the control panel under Start -> Settings -> Control Panel. Look under System -> Device Manager -> Multimedia. Or you can pop your box open and physically look at the card. There are programs out there such as SiSoft's Sandra 2001 that will tell you what you have in your machine. Checkout http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra for info on Sandra.

You should have been able to see which card it was in the Device Manager. Or gotten a close enough description. At least brand name. Then I would search for a manufacturers web page for drivers. Is the Audio on-board? If thats the case I would check the MB manufacturer's web page. If you're still stuck let me know.
Old 10-01-01, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I know the name of the company that makes my soundcard - crystal semiconductor corporation

That's the crystal wdm audio codec that I was talking about.
Old 10-01-01, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's what HP says I have:

Sound
3-D stereo, PCI, 16 bit sound

Controller
AMC97 Codec

Noise Cancellation
Yes

Line Out
Yes

3-D Spatializer
Yes

Wavetable
Yes

Tone Control
No

Microphone
With HP Pavilion Multimedia Display
Old 10-01-01, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IF it's onboard you have to look on hp's site for and update, or the manufacturer of the motherboard for the driver. I have tried turning the detail down so not to bog it down as much.
Old 10-01-01, 10:54 AM

You can do 1 of two options IMO...

1) try setting the accelerated tab down a notch on your sound card properties. I believe the steps are Control Panel--->Device Manager--->Sound & Multimdia--->select your sound card--->properties. It should (by default) be set to Full Acceleration. Slide the bar down a notch or two, reboot, and run the game. I had a similar problem With ST:Elite Force (would always lock up on my in Multiplayer mode) and once I lowered the bar, it didn't happen.

2) Try picking up a new card. Soundblaster has recently released the Audigy Series of sound cards which are suppossed to be the next generation of Live! cards. Not that you should get an Audigy card (The X-gamer goes for about $85 though) but you can probably get a nice Live! card for around $60. Thats fairly inexpensive, and personally I think its an excellent card (Its what I use). Driver updates are a breeze, and since I've updated mine, I no longer have the lock-up problem with Elite Foce on multiplayer with Full Acceleration set.

I'm usually the last person to recommend shelling out $$ for progress, but at thes eprices, its not that vad of a deal - either way, good luck to you! Max Payne is one sweet game

Last edited by goatweed; 10-01-01 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-01-01, 11:42 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I need to find new drivers for my soundcard...Please help

Originally posted by Kevin H
Hey, I'm trying to find out if I need new drivers for my soundcard because whenever I play the game MAX PAYNE, my computer randomly freezes at times when Max is shooting. When I consulted the tech support for the game, it gave me a bunch of possible problems with my setup, and most of them have to do with my soundcard (which makes sense because it only freezes during gun fights, when there's lots of explosive sounds).
actually, during gunfights there's also another thing going on-->lots and lots of graphic detail i.e. bullets, bullet trails, bullet holes, blood, i'm guessing plenty of enemies, things in the area blowing up or getting shot up, lighting changes, etc etc etc so on and so forth.

What i'm saying is i'm willing to bet a cup of virtual coffee that it's a video related problem. if you've tried sound related solutions and they don't work, look into lowering your graphic details such as resolution, lower detailed textures, and whatever other settings there were (been awhile since i've been in the max payne menu). good luck

--HN
Old 10-01-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: I need to find new drivers for my soundcard...Please help

Originally posted by HN

What i'm saying is i'm willing to bet a cup of virtual coffee that it's a video related problem. if you've tried sound related solutions and they don't work, look into lowering your graphic details such as resolution, lower detailed textures, and whatever other settings there were (been awhile since i've been in the max payne menu). good luck

--HN

That's true, because I just played with the sound in the game turned off and it still froze during a gunfight. I'll try that next. I hope that's it! I have it set on 800 x 600 now with most details on medium -> high quality, with a few things on low.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope it works.
Old 10-01-01, 02:26 PM

If you lower the vid settings and it still doesn't work, let us know what vid card you're using. I know Max Payne is a HUGE resource hog when it comes to vid card specs. Also, if you haven't already, update your vid card drivers. It might not be the solution, but its usually a good idea to keep somewhat current on new driver releases. I personally use two different sets of drivers depending on what games I play. Its a pain to change them each time, but its worth it in the end (to me).
Old 10-01-01, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Riva TNT2 64 Pro card. (32 MB). I updated my video card drivers as a possible solution to this problem, but it didn't work. BTW, I still havne't played Max Payne again, so I don't know if lowering the details will help. I'll post again next time I play.
Old 10-03-01, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I played it again last night on the lowest settings (640x480, low detail on everything) and sound disabled, and.....it still froze! So if the sound is disabled, I don't think it's that that is causing the problem.

And this time I was just running instead of shooting, so it wasn't a problem of too many things being shown at one time or anything...
Old 10-03-01, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you running the mfg's drivers or detonators for your vid card? Which ever you're using try the other. What version of Direct X? If not DX8a try that as well.
Old 10-04-01, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Scarecrow
Are you running the mfg's drivers or detonators for your vid card? Which ever you're using try the other. What version of Direct X? If not DX8a try that as well.
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 4.08.00.0400

I went to Nvidia's webpage to get the new drivers, so I'm assuming I'm using the manufacturer's drivers because I do'nt know what detonators are...
Old 10-07-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any ideas?
Old 10-08-01, 03:04 AM

Well, I would suggest you look and see what is running in the background before you start the game. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and look in the window that pops up. Considering it is a store-bought PC, it is probably bogged down with stuff. It is very possible that another program is running in the background causing the lock-up. This is fairly common.

I would boot-up the PC and then directly press CTrl-Alt-Del after windows completely starts. I would then close everything except Systray and Explorer. Before doing this, you might want to close everything in the system tray next to the clock first (i.e. virus scan, maintenace schedule etc.)

Try playing the game now and see what happens.

C. Ryan