Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a new Notebook... Suggestions?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-30-01, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!
My good ole desktop PC is Schvitzing so I am currently in the market for a new PC.
I have been looking for a really good Notebook/Laptop for an affordable price ($1000-$1400). Here are my main concerns (in order of importance)...[list=1][*]DVD-ROM drive[*]SPEEEEEEEED!!!!![*]Hard-drive space[/list=1]
From what I have read, Dell is the most highly regarded around here. Is that the consensus? I did look at Dell's website and found the Ispiron 2500. I loaded one up with a 10 Gig. HD, DVD-ROM, 1GHz processor, and other stuff and tallied up around $1600. That's right outside of my range.
My questions are...
Is this a good price?
Can you only buy Dell's on their website or where else (I'm pretty rural so I don't have access to a whole lot of retailers)? Any other websites sell 'em?
Should I look at another brand?
And somebody please explain RAM to me. I thought RAM was what controlled how fast your PC works (I am just clueless).

Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 09-30-01, 09:56 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of people here like Dell. I like IBM and a misguided soul here likes Toshiba. A big consideration, if you use it as a portable machine without external mouse, should be whether you like the touchpad or the trackpoint. I like the trackpoint.

Compare what speed/features you can get with both. Battery life may be important. I do know IBM has been having "fire sales" and even sells on ebay.
Old 09-30-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Toshiba (specifically the Tecra series, but the Satellite Pro is not too shabby)

then IBM, Dell, and Compaq in that order.

I have seen a few regualr problems with the Dells. Dell is great about fixing them, but that is not the point. Nothing major, just little things like the keyboard.
Old 09-30-01, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Dell or IBM. IBMs definitely carry a higher price tag though. The Sony Vaio laptops are nice.

If you travel a lot you may want to consider one with a docking station or at least one as thin as you can afford. Sucks lugging the heavy ones around through the airport.

another suggestion if you do decide on Dell. Look at their refurbs. Doesn't necessarily indicate a problem with it, could have been a 30 day satisfaction return or a lease return. Should be able to shave several hundred off the price and still get a warranty.

Last edited by Nefarious; 09-30-01 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-02-01, 02:07 PM

Done and Done

Hey people. I did it.
I decided to go the Refurb. route so to save a few bucks. I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 2500. It has...
  • 8X DVD
  • 900 MHz Pentium III Processor
  • 10 Gig HD
  • Modem- 56K Capable V.90 + 10/100 Mini-PCI Combo (Could anyone explain what all this means?)
  • 256 MB SDRAM (2 DIMMs)
  • 59WHR - 8 Cell Battery
I am WAY excited for it to arrive! It should be here in 5 days. I thought the price was good. With 3 years tech support and an extra battery, the total came to $1574.

Thanks for the help.