Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

new HD won't work!!! ugh, please help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-30-01, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a 1.4 athlon, and new AD11 motherboard. I am using an old 8.4gb for my system drive and got a new 60gb IBM deskstar for my AV drive. but I can't get the 60 gb to work. I use Windows 2000.
I tried formatting it in Win2K, but it never formats correctly. I also tried formatting with a Win98 bootdisk after using that same bootdisk's fdisk program.
I know how to hook up harddrives and all that, so I KNOW I am doing nothing wrong.
Is there some feature in Win2K I do not know about? Do I need to mount the drive?
Also, I am making it a Fat32.

thanks in advance.
Marc
Old 09-30-01, 07:36 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's only for Win2K you should use NTFS.

Is the drive recognized ok in your BIOS and set on Auto? Did your motherboard come with drivers for its IDE channels and did you install them? Is the drive the secondary master? Have you tried detaching any CD-ROM or other IDE devices on the same channel?

There should be nothing special to do in terms of mounting. You are using the Disk Management function to do the formatting, aren't you? What error do you get?
Old 09-30-01, 09:00 PM

X, thanks for the reply.
Is NTFS reversable? Someone told me to just do FAT32 cause once a drive is NTFS its NTFS for life...
Yes, the BIOS is setup correctly. And Any drivers on the cd for the moboard are installed, I had another HD hooked up to the same spot on the cable and it worked perfectly, but it also had data on it previously and was already in tune with Win2K.

I've been messing around with it more since my first post.
Now, in Disk Management, it says its a Dynamic Volume, So when I right click to "change to Basic" (whatever) it does nothing.

Any other Ideas?
Old 09-30-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You do not want a dynamic volume, especially if you are just using it as a workstation with nothing special.

Once you make a volume NTFS, it sure nuff is NTFS for life, but that's a good thing, I love it. Only if you dual boot with Win9x and NT, then you can't access the NTFS volume when in win9x.

There is no need to mount a drive with win2000, it should automatically do all that. If your HD isn't being recognized, I would think it might be a bad HD. My brother bought a Maxtor and it didn't work. He bought a Western Digital and viola, it was there.

What I would try, if you have the spare parts, is try loading the HD into another pc, and see if it recoginizes it. If it does, then it isn't an HD problem, but maybe the IDE channel.

When you say, win2k doesn't format correctly, what exactly do you mean?

Neitzl
Old 09-30-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's not NTFS for life is it? i could've sworn i ran FDISK on a NTFS partition and just deleted the sucker.
Old 09-30-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NTFS is not for life, nor is any format.

You must create a partition in Win2k and format the drive. you do this in the disk manager (that place where you saw the disk was dynamic) right click the space next to the drive, create a simple volume and format it.

Dynamic disks have NO drawbacks other than they can not be read by other operating syetms. If this is a win2k only machine, by all means leave it as a dynamic disk.
Old 09-30-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You can reformat an NTFS partition. But you would have to delete it. I don't know of any utility to "convert" NTFS to FAT...whereas you can do that the other way (fat to NTFS). That's probably what was meant.

NTFS is the way to go, regardless. It does the best job of maximizing space and reducing "slack". On that large of a drive, even with Fat32, you'd be wasting a lot of space.