Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows Operating Systems - Geez

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-30-01, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I still use Windows 98 SE, but I'm about to get a new computer. Even though I am quite computer savvy, the plethora of Windows Operating Systems is offputting.

Windows XP Pro
Windows XP Home
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 98 SE
Windows 95

Ok, Windows 95 is out of date. Windows ME is a DOA product, as far as I can tell. That leaves:

Windows XP Pro
Windows XP Home
Windows 2000
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 98 SE

I hate the registration theme for XP --- if I "buy a book" I don't want to be restricted to reading it only in the bathroom, if you know what I mean.

Also, not everything seems to be updated to the newer systems.

I have to admit to being "satisfied" with Windows 98 SE, since most everything I have does run on it, and drivers for everything seem to be available for Windows 98 SE...

But, of course, if I get a new computer, it may be time to upgrade...

Any thoughts?

Old 09-30-01, 12:38 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been very happy with Windows 2000. I have no plans on upgrading to Windows XP even if it was free.
Old 09-30-01, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For all-around usability and stability, Windows 2000 is the best OS Microsoft has ever released. Windows XP is a step backwards as far as I'm concerned. It's more bloated and full of crap, just about none of which is useful to me.

I'm expecting to be using Win2K until I can no longer get hardware drivers for it.
Old 09-30-01, 01:17 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on what you're going to be doing, I also recommend Win2K. There are still some multimedia driver issues if you're doing complex things like home theater with it, but overall it does just about everything well (for Windows).
Old 09-30-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

i dual boot 2k and xp and both have their benefits..
xp has a stack of new options that makes it great, and it still runs solid as a rock
2k is more slim line then xp and needs less resources.. and it runs solid as a rock

the backwards compatibility is a little greater in XP then it is in 2k.. and over time, I believe the driver support will be better for XP then 2k.

I dont think nt4 is an answer anymore

and if your not concerned with stability, and only need the ease of use and compatibility, 98 is still the way to go
Old 09-30-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If i had to pick one and wanted the most likely to run everything i would pick win 98se.

personally i would dual boot the system and run both win 98se and win 2k. this way you can check out win 2k and if any game or program gives you a problem you have win 98se to fall back on.

The best of both worlds. Set up two partitions on your hard drive. Makes sure you install win 98se first then win 2k since win 98se overwrites some files(or can) that win 2k needs to boot up.

Good Luck
Old 09-30-01, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
Makes sure you install win 98se first then win 2k since win 98se overwrites some files(or can) that win 2k needs to boot up.
This is definately the easy way to go, but it's not that hard to do it the other way.
Old 09-30-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have used 2000 and it was solid, Iíve been using XP now for about 4 weeks, and have not had any problems. Actually some programs that would not run under 2k run in XP. I was hesitant about using XP. I was pleasantly surprised
Old 09-30-01, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I loved 2000 but it certainly wouldn't run everything. XP is very nice and I think it depends on where you consider yourself, user-level wise. 2000 would probably require more technical knowledge to tweak it the way you would want, as compared to XP. Plus XP allows you to run things in 95 mode, 98 mode, and I believe even NT mode (??)

I don't think any of the 9x options are good. Not as stable, fewer security options, and the benefits of 2000 or XP are too many to overlook when compared.
Old 09-30-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Thanks for the info --- sounds like when I get a new computer, just try out the new operating system as well...
Old 10-01-01, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I'm looking forward to giving XP a shot. Dabbled with W2K but went with WME instead. I'll shell out the $100 for XP when it hits..
Old 10-01-01, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

XP Home came on my new laptop. Like it so far. Has some crap I don't need that I'll be removing, but it's been real stable and fast.

Now I just need a copy of XP Pro for my main desktop and I'll be all set.
Old 10-01-01, 04:09 PM
Retired

I have Windows ME and like it a lot. I have no plans on upgrading. I mean all I use my computer for is surfing the net, writing papers, balancing my check book and occasionally watching DVD rom extra features. So I really don't need all the bells and whistles. My computer crashed a lot with Windows 98, but has only crashed a couple times since upgrading to ME when it first came out.
Old 10-01-01, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been using XP pro for a few weeks now, and have been pretty happy with it. Runs just about everything that win2k does, (some antivirus programs don't work yet) but it seems smooth, boots up quicker than 2k. The only drawback I've seen so far is gaming speed is down a bit, although I have an older video card (3dfx voodoo3) whose drivers haven't been updated in a while.

Dave
Old 10-01-01, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I have Windows ME and like it a lot. I have no plans on upgrading. I mean all I use my computer for is surfing the net, writing papers, balancing my check book and occasionally watching DVD rom extra features. So I really don't need all the bells and whistles. My computer crashed a lot with Windows 98, but has only crashed a couple times since upgrading to ME when it first came out.
Youve been lucky my friend
Old 10-02-01, 04:11 AM

Right now the only choices are Win2k Pro or XP Pro that's it.

ME isn't worth the pain it can cause. I'm just glad that Gateway is almost done offering it...

it means the number of calls I support should go down on that ME POS. Oh and get this guys. I'm on the Windows XP que and as of yet, Gateway has been shipping it since the 24th..., I've yet to recieve just 1 xp call...none what so ever...

XP is the bomb, I'm still using win2k. I will be switching to XP just as soon as Gateway getss of their tush and gives us technicians a XP Pro cd... they were oh so kind to give us all a copy of XP Pro RC2, which expires in 180 days...hell no...I wan't the full final release.
Old 10-02-01, 04:31 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<small>that's roman numeral for 2000</small>