Reload this Page >

Help! Can't burn Solaris CDs!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-29-01, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My instructor at college suggested to me that I install Solaris on my home computer to help become accustomed to the operating system. So I logged onto Sun's website and downloaded the install CD, the two application CDs, the language CD (just for the heck of it), and the english documentation CD. All of these CDs are in .ISO format.

Now, I've burned TONS of CD images before. In fact, within the past week I've easily burned 20 images in various formats (.bin/.cue, .iso, etc) and so far everything has burned just fine. But for some weird reason Nero locks up when I try and burn any of these CDs!! In addition, ISOBuster hangs when trying to "access" the file/directory information about the ISO's. I made sure that the files were completely downloaded too, btw.

I'm running on Win2K at the moment and using Nero Burning ROM (version 5.5). Sun's website suggest using EZ CD-Creator... but that kills Win2K!!!! How do I burn these images? When I try to burn w/ Nero it says something like "generating relocation information" or something like that and just sits there and does nothing.
Old 09-29-01, 07:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Help! Can't burn Solaris CDs!!

Originally posted by Liquid Poo
Sun's website suggest using EZ CD-Creator... but that kills Win2K!!!!

Hmmm... that's interesting. I'm running EZ CD both at home and at work under Windows 2000 and have no problems with it at all.
Old 09-29-01, 07:30 PM

Re: Help! Can't burn Solaris CDs!!

Originally posted by Liquid Poo
Now, I've burned TONS of CD images before. In fact, within the past week I've easily burned 20 images in various formats (.bin/.cue, .iso, etc) and so far everything has burned just fine.
All legal I bet

There's a program called ISOBuster. Try to find it. You specify an ISO file and it will read the contents, displaying files/directories neatly with an explorer-like UI.
It also allows you to extract individual files from the ISO. So you can extract the files and then either re-create an ISO for yourself with all the files, or burn the extracted files/directory structure to CD as you would any other bunch of files (with another program of course, ISOBuster just extracts files).
I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's an idea.

Have you considered the fact you've got a bad image? any CRC checks you can make to be certain it's not the ISO file?

There are also converters to change to/from ISO <-> BIN/CUE. You may want to go that route if you get bored.

Either way, hope you have a fast PC!

-E
Old 09-29-01, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

easy cd creator works fine on win2k
there is an issue with the take two application.. but you can either not install it, or get the patch to fix it
Old 09-29-01, 07:44 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Help! Can't burn Solaris CDs!!

Originally posted by Einsatz

All legal I bet

There's a program called ISOBuster. Try to find it. You specify an ISO file and it will read the contents, displaying files/directories neatly with an explorer-like UI.
It also allows you to extract individual files from the ISO. So you can extract the files and then either re-create an ISO for yourself with all the files, or burn the extracted files/directory structure to CD as you would any other bunch of files (with another program of course, ISOBuster just extracts files).
I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's an idea.

Have you considered the fact you've got a bad image? any CRC checks you can make to be certain it's not the ISO file?

There are also converters to change to/from ISO <-> BIN/CUE. You may want to go that route if you get bored.

Either way, hope you have a fast PC!

-E
1.33 GHz... 256 MB RAM.

And yes, I mentioned above that I tried ISOBuster and it didn't work. The .iso files were actually .zip files and they unzipped just fine so my assumption is that it downloaded fine, otherwise I would've gotten an error.
Old 09-29-01, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only program ive seen that could burn .iso correctly was Ez Cd... have you considered using winimage or something similar to extract the file (other than the one that won't work)?

Could it be you have to burn that in a specific mode (mode1, mode2, whatever...)...
Old 09-29-01, 10:08 PM
Banned

Well, I went ahead and just shut down Win2K and booted up into Win98 and installed EZ CD Creator on there and then burned the CD... didn't have a problem. But it sucks I had to do that. Nero should be able to burn all .iso's just fine!