Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Monitor for Gaming?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best Monitor for Gaming?

Old 09-28-01, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Monitor for Gaming?

I have decided to replace my Viewsonic E771 17-inch monitor. I play a lot of games and want to get a high-quality 19-inch. I have been looking at Sony and Samsung monitors. Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-01, 05:33 PM

I've got a Sony Multiscan E400. It's a flat-screen 19" CRT. And I mean flat!

Beautiful display, really. Silent resolution/refresh rate changes, handles [email protected] without a hitch.

I upgraded to this monitor a little under a year ago when my Dell 1200HS (19", not a Trinitron, & definitely not flat) died a few weeks after it's third birthday. When I loaded UT for the first time after getting the monitor it was as if I had gotten a new video card. The difference was that much.

I should point out I am a programmer so I stare at the box for hours at a time. No eye strain. The refresh rate of 75Hz on this monitor makes the 75Hz of my old Dell monitor seem like 60Hz.

The only bad thing is the whole tension wires routine when someone says "what are those 2 lines on your monitor?" It's like trying to explain why OAR is better than P&S to someone who just doesn't like black bars on their screen.

-E
Old 09-28-01, 05:49 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree about the Sony flatscreens. When you get a good one they display print that looks like it's typed on paper. And as easy on your eyes as reading off paper. I found the wires hard to see on the 21" I had, but useful to line up things like graphics on a template. Nice having a virtually invisible ruler built in.
Old 09-28-01, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where's the best place to get prices on monitors??
Old 09-28-01, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Einsatz

*snip*

The only bad thing is the whole tension wires routine when someone says "what are those 2 lines on your monitor?" It's like trying to explain why OAR is better than P&S to someone who just doesn't like black bars on their screen.

[/B]
I've had two different Trinitron monitors and you really don't notice the wires over time. Bugs you a little bit at first, but you don't notice it after a week or two. It's most noticeable on bright colors, like white. Very difficult to see on darker colors.
Old 09-28-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love my Viewsonic PF795 (PerfectFlat). 1920x1440 @ 73Hz

Try www.pricewatch.com for prices.

Last edited by skar; 09-28-01 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-29-01, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For any monitor larger than 17", Sony Trinitrons really can't be beat.

I stumbled across this deal courtesy of X's Dell link in the other thread.

The Sony G400 is actually a minor step up from the E500 that Einsatz mentioned, I think. It's $359 plus tax and shipping for this weekend only.

There's cheaper models out there, but this is an excellent price for a great monitor.
Old 09-29-01, 08:36 AM

Belboz is right, I bought the E400 near it's end of retail life and saved some $. Most places are now selling the G400. They're basically the same monitor except that a couple years ago the G series was more for professional DTP people and the like.

One major feature I know about the G400 is the fact it has dual inputs. So you can connect 2 PCs to the same monitor. I don't know how you'd handle the KB/mouse.
I've had my Belkin OmniCube for a long time now to do the KVM switching between my computers so the dual input wasn't something I needed, which is why I went with the E400 instead of the "G" model.

-E