Reload this Page >

Is your hard drive failing if....

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-28-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I restarted the server last night after an update. Started noticing some noise coming from one of the drives (it has 3 scsi drives). When these drives start up, you can here the speed of the drive come up (it sounds like a turbine starting up) and then it clicks and it is ready to go (normally). Now one of them is making that sound every minute or 2, it seems like it is spinning down partially, then reseting, then spinning back up and making it's click sound. Sometimes it does it several times in a row, other times it skips a few minutes. I can still access all the drives, however the D drive did take extra time to list initially. Any guesses on how long before this thing dies for good?

Dave
Old 09-28-01, 11:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Is your hard drive failing if....

Originally posted by Dave99
Any guesses on how long before this thing dies for good?

Dave

From my experience, it could be minutes or it could be years.

also, have you double checked to make sure that the power supply isn't flaking out and that the connections are all good too? This type of sound can also be related to a voltage drop to the drive.
Old 09-28-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Ive never tried this program before, and dont really know much about it.. but it is made by steve gibson (grc.com) and he is very well respected

you might want to give it a try

http://grc.com/spinrite.htm
Old 09-28-01, 01:39 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like problems I've had a couple of times before with older Seagate SCSI drives. They didn't last long after that started. Get a backup now!
Old 09-28-01, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think these are seacrates as well. I'll have to check and make sure I have everything backed up, as that drive has 5 gigs of mp3s on it. I hate buying SCSI drives, they are so much more expensive, and I don't need the advantages they offer over IDE.
Anybody know a place to get cheap drives? I don't need 7200 or 10K RPM drives, 5400 would be just fine. Ohh, and I can't just plug an IDE controller in, as I only have 2 pci slots, both used.

Dave
Originally posted by X
Sounds like problems I've had a couple of times before with older Seagate SCSI drives. They didn't last long after that started. Get a backup now!
Old 09-28-01, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dave,

most seagate SCSI drives have a 5 year warranty, call seagate, read them your serial and see. That way it just costs shipping.

pricewatch shows a few 9G scsiss under $100 and some 36G at $200. You can always convert adapters to make them fit the scsi connection you have

(80pin to 68 pin to 50 pin etc, the converters are cheap)

Before you do anything, BACKUP, then run the drive through this

http://download.seagate.com/seatools...f/eula/desktop

then check warranty info, only then buy a new drive.

(btw - some of the cheapos on pricewatch like COmputer Giants and Star Components are very good to do business with, do not be afraid of the low ball prices)
Old 09-28-01, 05:44 PM
X
Administrator

You have a motherboard that does not have IDE onboard?
Old 09-28-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it's a compaq prosignia 500, onboard scsi only.

Dave
Originally posted by X
You have a motherboard that does not have IDE onboard?
Old 09-28-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

THanks Ken, I am going to try that. I'm not sure if they will go for it, as the drives are compaq brand, basically rebadged seagates. Kind of sucks, out of the 4 drives that came with this server, 1 has completely failed, this is one is dying. All seagates. I guess I can't complain to much, I only paid 20 bucks for the whole thing

Dave
Originally posted by 4KRG
Dave,

most seagate SCSI drives have a 5 year warranty, call seagate, read them your serial and see. That way it just costs shipping.

pricewatch shows a few 9G scsiss under $100 and some 36G at $200. You can always convert adapters to make them fit the scsi connection you have

(80pin to 68 pin to 50 pin etc, the converters are cheap)

Before you do anything, BACKUP, then run the drive through this

http://download.seagate.com/seatools...f/eula/desktop

then check warranty info, only then buy a new drive.

(btw - some of the cheapos on pricewatch like COmputer Giants and Star Components are very good to do business with, do not be afraid of the low ball prices)
Old 10-01-01, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking at pricewatch for a new drive, they have listed Quantum, IBM and fujitsu 18 gig ultra160 scsi drives for around 110-120. Any particular brand I should avoid among those 3 or recommendations?
Thanks
Dave
Old 10-01-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Avoid Fujitsu, those drives never last.

IBM scsi's are nice, but hey throw off a ton of heat for some reason. Just make sure you keep them cool with plenty of air flow.

Quantum (maxtor) are OK, average speed, average heat, solid drive.

One to watch out for is Seagate, some models are good some are bad, depends on the model. ONLY because of this variance I would suggest someone not familiar with the Seagate line avoid them. Otherwise, they make some great drives.

If all the above were the same exact price, I would get the IBM. (does that make you happy X?)

Does this old beast of a server actually have an Ultra 160 controller in it? or are you just future upgrade planning?
Old 10-01-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Ken, nope the beast doesn't have a 160 controller, however in my quick search at pricewatch, seems like for the size (around 18 gig) the ultra 160 drives were as cheap as everything else, so it's a nice upgrade path. The IBM is actually the cheapest at 106 @star components, so I'll probably order that today. I think I have enough cooling in the thing, the power supply fan moves a lot of air on its own, and there is a additional (guessing here) 5or6 inch fan in the back panel that seems as powerful as some room fans I've had.

Dave
Old 10-01-01, 01:00 PM
X
Administrator

These can't be 10K or 15K RPM drives at that price, can they?

I only have experience with a couple of IBM 10K drives and haven't found them to run particularly hot at all. I'd say pretty comparable to the latest line of Seagate 10K drives. Don't know about the 7.5K or 15K ones though.
Old 10-01-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For $106

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/ultra/ul36lp.htm

that is a good deal. I would call star and make sure they have it before placing the order. Their web page inventory is always a bit out of date.

The 80pin to 68pin adapters work well too, I always put a touch of hot glue on them just to make sure they stay in pace.

Since that is a 7200rpm, the heat is not bad. IBM's 10K rpm drives are portable space heaters
Old 10-01-01, 01:33 PM
X
Administrator

IBM's 10K rpm drives are portable space heaters
The 18GB IBMs draw 9.7 watts, Seagates draw 8.5. Seagate certainly has improved with their latest generation. But only 1.2 watts different is not that big a deal. However, all things being equal, I'd certainly go for the lower power.
Old 10-01-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, I think they are all 7200, which for my purposes is more than sufficient. Got any links for adapters? Everything I have right now is 50 pin, although my PCI controller (there are 2 controllers in this server) has a 50 pin and 68 pin connector. The drive from Star comes with a free 80-68 converter, so would it be easier to get a 68 cable or convert from 80 pin to 50?

Dave
Originally posted by X
These can't be 10K or 15K RPM drives at that price, can they?

I only have experience with a couple of IBM 10K drives and haven't found them to run particularly hot at all. I'd say pretty comparable to the latest line of Seagate 10K drives. Don't know about the 7.5K or 15K ones though.
Old 10-01-01, 01:42 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Dave99
Nope, I think they are all 7200, which for my purposes is more than sufficient. Got any links for adapters? Everything I have right now is 50 pin, although my PCI controller (there are 2 controllers in this server) has a 50 pin and 68 pin connector. The drive from Star comes with a free 80-68 converter, so would it be easier to get a 68 cable or convert from 80 pin to 50?

Dave
Can't you use one controller for the 50 pin drives and one for the new 68 pin (after adapter) drive? Then you just need a 68 pin cable. You definitely want to use 68 pins (double width) if possible.
Old 10-01-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
But only 1.2 watts different is not that big a deal.
You wouldn't think so, but get 5 or 6 of them in the same case and that 1.2W difference starts to become a cooling issue.

I am not sure all the details behind it, but my expereince with a temp probe shows the IBMs run a bit hotter. I am sure the 1.2W makes a difference, but I doubt that is the only factor.

I still like the IBMs, but the high end seagates are my preference for SCSI.

For $106 the ultra 160, 7200rpm IBM that Dave is looking at is perfect.

Dave, you would be best off on the 68 pin connector if you can.
Old 10-01-01, 01:49 PM
X
Administrator

I still like the IBMs, but the high end seagates are my preference for SCSI.
Mine too right now. I haven't gotten into the 15K's yet, but their specs look really good. Do they run cool and quiet?
Old 10-01-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can do that. I think there is only one device (tape backup) on the second card, so it should be pretty easy to move it over to the motherboard connector. (assuming the cable I have is long enough)
thanks guys
Dave
Originally posted by X
Can't you use one controller for the 50 pin drives and one for the new 68 pin (after adapter) drive? Then you just need a 68 pin cable. You definitely want to use 68 pins (double width) if possible.