Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need a good all-purpose ripper and sound file formatter

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-28-01, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dad just won a little contest at work and brought his prize over to my house -- a Sony NW-MS9 Network Walkman. Well, he wants me to load the memory stick up with mp3's for him, since his computer's from the Stone Age, and I'm a little behind the times in my audio applications . . .

So I'm wondering. Is there any program out there that basically does it ALL? I want something that will:
  • RIP wav files from a CD
  • convert wav to mp3 and wma (really the wma isn't essential, but I'd like that as I also have a Rio Volt player)
  • Perhaps also convert from mp3 back to wav

Is there a kick-butt comprehensive program out there? What's everyone using for this? My Dad wants a buncha' classical on his MemStick, so I'll need to do lots of CD ripping. I have something on CD that I've never looked at called "Sound Forge." Will that do it?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

abs
Old 09-28-01, 02:27 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sound Forge is overkill, mostly used for editing sound.

Take a look at MusicMatch.
Old 09-28-01, 06:29 AM

I use Audio Catalyst 2.1 it allows me to rip to wav/mp3's/or both. I can also set the bitrates to 320 put in the id3 tags and name the files anyway i want. Windows Media Player does well rippin to wma, and thats a free program.

I'm not sure about music match's ability to rip to wma. I don't care for the program personally. But hey, do what you want.
Old 09-29-01, 03:46 AM

Well, I've got the latest version of both Music Match JB and Windows Media Player, and I've understood that they will burn CD's. But, I'm pretty darned intuitive at figuring out even complex apps -- but I can't seem to make those progs do exactly what I want them to do. Both of those apps seem to be set up to burn CD's, but what I want to do is mainly RIP, saving that file to either mp3 or WMA, and then just store it on my hard drive until I can use the little proggie that comes with the Sony player to move it over to the Memory Stick.

Will either of those programs do that? Again, they seem to only be set up burn CD's. (Although I guess that would ultimately do the trick; I'd just have to store the info on the CD instead of on the HD -- I could still move the files to the MemStick).

Thanks for the tips thus far!

Aaron
Old 09-29-01, 10:52 PM

Okay, I've figured some things out. Windows MP will indeed export files from a CD to the hard, in .wma format, at your choice of bitrate.

Also, for those of you that may be interested, I found a great free download from Microsoft: Windows Media Player 7 Bonus Pack. This package contains a terrific little app, "Audio Converter 3.0 LE, which will quickly and easily convert mp3 files to wma files. Presto!

Anyway, with a little patience I got the Sony Network Walkman all figured out. Turns out then when you use the included software to import files to the MemStick, it changes them to a different format anyway -- ATRAC 3 -- and then for the sake of copyright protection you can only export the files back to the same computer from which you imported them. Odd, but whatever. Oh, and it turns out that that selfsame little piece of software will grab any audio -- be it CD Audio, mp3, wma, or wav -- and then compress it to ATRAC 3 and import to the MemStick. Pretty easy. (Yes, it's confusing, but that's how the terminology goes with this software: you "import" items from the computer to the MemStick, and "export" them back to the computer. Just seems backwards to me).

Now my new problem. I've burned a CD of wma files to use on my Rio Volt player. I simply used Windows Media Player to copy the files to the HD in wma format, then used Nero to burn them to CD (with the exception of ONE file which started life as an mp3 -- I used the MS Audio Converter app to change it to a wma). Now when I play the CD in the Rio Volt, the only one that will play is the file that started life as an mp3! The other files show a message on the player's LED: "WMAProtected" Don't you just love copyright protection. Of course, the irony here is that the only file that WILL play is the one I downloaded from the 'Net and didn't pay for! The ones that won't play are from CD's I OWN!

Now I've gotta figure this out . . .

abs
Old 09-30-01, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Music Match will most certainly rip, and it's the jukebox I would recommend. Go to the help menu > index > type in ripping.

Convert mp3s back to wav: Options menu > file > convert.
Old 10-01-01, 01:05 AM

www.r3mix.net

great advice for maximizing the file size and quality of mp3s ripped from cds.